Part 1

I ran my index finger around the rim of my coffee cup, staring at the top as if it was going to do anything different then the nothing it was already doing. I was sitting at a coffee shop, me, Mitchie Torres, with my mother at one of those round tables that were almost six feet off the ground, with tall chairs and everything.

            “So, what did you get on your progress report?” My mom’s face was bright, her eyes filled with hope. I looked up at her, getting ready to speak when I feel this chill. My heart always does this when…I take a deep breath, answering my mom before taking a quick glance behind me. Its Alex.

            “Oh look Mitchie.” My mom saw her too, smiling as she tapped my hand. “Go say something to her.”

            “Mom I don’t think that’s a good idea.”

            “Go.” She sort of demanded. I pouted, shaking my head as she told me to go on once more. I stood from my chair, hesitantly turning to face the brunette. My heart was fighting with itself, and it has been for two months now. I take a step towards the counter, and when Alex is next up to order I step behind her.

            “Hey Alex.” I have this sort of cheer in my voice that wasn’t there a minute ago.

            “What do you want?” She whispered. I admit, it stung to hear those words. I did wrong, I admit it, but to Alex, there’s no going back.

            “I um…”

            “You um what?” She shook her head after ordering. She faced me, leaning on the counter with one elbow pressed against it’s glass.

            “Nothing.” I respond, turning away from her, and I’m sure she doesn’t mind. I strolled back over to my mother defeated.

            “So,” my mom smiled, “what did she say?”

            “Nothing.”

            “Maybe she can have coffee with us.”

            “Mom no!” I shook my head over several times but my mom called out to the brunette anyway.

            “She has to sit with us,” my mom whispered, “I know her mother.” I closed my eyes at those words as I heard steps behind me. There were two seats left at the table, one to my left, or one to my right. Alex sat to my left, placing her coffee on the table as I opened my eyes to gaze at her.

            “I’m kind of in a hurry Connie.” Alex had this weird tone in her voice, as if she hated the fact that she even knew my mom.

            “Not in much of a hurry I hope, sit.” My mom waits for the girl to react and that’s when Alex faces me. I don’t stare, I face my coffee cup, fidgeting with the top as if I’m about to take a sip. She leans towards me and whispers in my ear, something that caused my heart to pound against my chest.

            “Why is your mom doing this?” She asks. I shrug into her chin as she pulls away. My mom has a smile on her face as Alex sighs, finally sitting down. She sips on her coffee vigorously, trying to finish it I suppose, so she can leave.

            “So, Alex, how have you been?” My mom’s question causes me even more embarrassment. I wish she’d just stop talking.

            “How do you mean? With life? Fine.”

            “And how’s school?”

            “Crowded.” She paused after that, staring at her cup as if something didn’t taste right.