A Disastrous, Almost Tragic, Baby Shower

Start from the beginning

Chris

The baby shower was going better than expected

The baby shower was going better than expected. Kae and I were having the best time teasing everyone with really tough clues for them to guess the baby's name with. We decided on Rose Marie and considering how popular that name is, it took a lot of time and effort to come up with clues that stumped everyone. It was almost time for the big reveal, we just had two more games to play. 'Feed the baby with the bottle', the 'pin the tail on the donkey' spin-off for the occasion, and last but not least, 'guess how huge the mom's stomach is.' These final games were more for fun than to give our family and friends clues about our daughter's name. Just before the next game starts, I look over at my wifey and she isn't looking too good. Like she over did it with all the food she ate. "Hey... Babe are you ok?"

"I think so... I'll sit this game out since I'll be standing up while everyone puts toilet paper over my belly in the next one. Just so I can get some rest before we make the announcement so this whole thing can be over and I can really rest once we get home." She wasn't too convincing but I shrugged it off because she was right. We were going home soon and if she isn't too worried I won't be. I'm not letting my guard down though... Not when my wife and daughter's lives are on the line. Throughout the whole game, I couldn't stop keeping my eyes on Kae. She looked fine but didn't look any better so I just hoped nothing was wrong. All I want right now is to get through the rest of the baby shower so I can take her to the ER to make sure everything really is ok. The way Kae was acting had me worried that it wasn't.

It was what was wrong that I was worried about though because it was hard to tell. I was determined to protect my wife and unborn child by finding out just what the problem is before it's too late though. Too bad it was because the moment Kae stood up for the final game, she collapsed. Blood on the chair she was sitting in as well as on the floor. Only difference is that where she was laying, a pool was starting to form as I scooped her into my arms. From that point on, everything went fast with me rushing to the car while ignoring the screams from everyone and speeding all the way to the ER. "I need help! My wife collapsed at our baby shower and I think she's miscarrying," I practically scream when I carry her inside once I get there. I was thankful for Kae's nurse was just coming in for her shift at that exact time too.

She took the car keys to park for me which was a real God-send. It let me get my wife help faster so I wouldn't have to park the car then get her out and race to get help when time was definitely not on my side right now. I just wish they let me go with her while they ran their tests. Instead Kae was taken out of my arms as they told me to wait in the waiting room; my hands covered in her blood. I could tell that because of how much blood she lost, that she was going in and out of consciousness which killed me even more because her life and our daughter's was in danger. An innocent little baby, my baby, who I've yet to meet or might have to raise without her mother if I lose one of them if not both. I was never as scared than I was then in my entire life in this moment. If we lose our daughter, Kae would never be the same.