After Reaping

Me and James were pushed into the Justice building. As soon as I sat down the door opened and Andrew walked in carrying a sobbing Rue.

"Hey."

"Rue I'm so sorry,"

"You have to win." She said it so quietly I could barely hear it. I suddenly remember what mum told me about her games a different place and a different girl told her the same thing when she was dying. I gave her the same answer.

"I will I promise."

I turned to Andrew, we shared the connection that my mum and his uncle shared before they fell out and he ran of. We both knew that there would be other kids that would have been trained to. I wrapped my arms around his neck.

"Take care of her." I whispered and he nodded. The Peacekeepers came in and I kissed Rue on the cheek and said goodbye. Aunt Prim came in alone uncle Rory was excused from the reaping as he was sick.

"Lilly,"

"It's ok I was expecting this, its just Rue, and Andrew especially after Grace." Grace was Andrews girlfriend three years ago she was reaped for the games and she was killed in the bloodbath.

"It's ok I'll look after them."

"I guess I'll see you when I come back."

We hug then she had to leave.

Me, James and Tanya got in to a car outside the Justice building and were driven to the train station. I have only been in a car once when my parents were invited to the Capitol to celebrate my birth and I don't even remember it.

When we arrive at the train station the platform is swarming with cameras. My mum taught me to mask my emotions which I do now I glimpse myself on the screen and am glad I seem unimpressed. When we get on the train I gasp but its covered by James's. Well obviously I would be more used to fancy rooms as I lived in the Victors Village all my life. James was from the Seam he had never even seen so much velvet seating. My cart was amazing, I changed into a plain t-shirt and trousers not unlike the ones I wore before the reaping.

I went and lay down on my bed and went over today's events. First of all the reaping, it was obviously rigged but why would they do it my second eligible year why not wait till I was older?

Second Rue, what would happen if I was killed?

Before I could get to three Tanya came and knocked on my door to call me to dinner.

Mum, dad and James were already sitting at the table when I got there. James was staring daggers at me, like the games had already begun.

"So lets talk sponsors." said dad

"What about sponsors?"

"Well I believe the best way for you to to get sponsors is to really show them what your made of in training. I mean Katniss here got the highest score and look what that did for her!"

"Stop it Peeta!" and she gently peaked him on the lips.

"MOM! Not here!" I say which makes her and dad laugh.

"But really you two should try and pick a certain weapon that you are best at and save it for the private sessions. Lilly we know your best weapon is a bow and arrows. What about you James?"

"Well I'm not bad at welding a knife."

"We figured." James's father was the butcher only he lived with his mother in the Seam.

"Can you throw one?"

"Don't know."

"Well give it a try and if you find you are any good set it down, walk away and save it for your private session."

As we eat our dinner of bowls of lamb stew, different types of bread, fried vegetables and hot chocolate. I fell in love with the stew it even had dried plumbs.

After dinner we went to watch the recap of the reapings. Meany didn't register but a few stood out like the girl from district 1 who claims that she will kill any one in her way. A boy from district 2 who looked like he had shoved about two dozen apples up his sleeves. The boy from district 6 was a lot more confident than the usual. So was the girl from district 9. When the district 11 girl was chosen mum started crying I wasn't sure why. She was twelve and very small the announcer acted very exited then she said "Well let's hope little Daisy goes further in the competition than her aunt."

When I am chosen she gets very exited saying like its a replay of the 74th games and wonders if we will have the same dramatic ending.

"Not likely." said James.

"Yeah." I agreed.

"Well you two should get some sleep." said dad.

I was woken up in the middle of the night by knocking. I got up and went to the door, it was James.

"Can I come in?" he asked.

"Uh, sure." I opened the door wider to let him in then closed it. "Why are you here?"

"Cause, come closer." he whispered. I did so feeling confused, then he placed both hands on my shoulders and shoved me. I landed on the floor and he grabbed my wrist pulled me up and tossed me onto the bed.

"Just so you know, I've been waiting to do that since my name was chosen."

"Why?"

"Cause my mentor is your dad he doesn't want me to win he wants you to!"

"Well that's not my fault!" I shout then he covers my mouth with his hand.

"You say anything about this and you will be the first I kill."

Then he spat on the carpet and left.

In the morning I was fuming. But didn't tell mum or dad, not that I was afraid of James but I knew he was nothing to worry about he probably wouldn't make it past the bloodbath anyway.

"Right today we will arrive in the Capitol, and you two will meet your stylists. You may not like their ideas but trust me they know what they are talking about."

"Fine."

RRRIP

The waxy strip of cloth is yanked from my leg with a painful jerk.

"Ok that's the last one, good thing your not a complainer the girl last year was terrible!" said Trixe. My prep team were such idiots and really dramatically altered. Trixe had gems in her arms and face and green hair. Edison's hair was shock blue and spiked into a mohawk. Welda had violet hair and it was piled up on top of her head. For the past three hours I have been soaked in various tubs of unknown oils and suds, stripped of hair everywhere but my head and covered with creams.

"Oh you are going to be a huge sensation at the opening ceremony, just wait till you see what Seth has for you."

Seth has been the district 12 stylist for twenty five years. I have to admit he is pretty good, him and Marta just carry on from Cinna and Portia, my parents stylists. Cinna was arrested and killed during the 75th games and Portia retired a few years ago.

"Good to meet you Lilly."

"You to."

"I'll order lunch and we'll talk."

"Ok."

"A girl of few words are you?"

"Sometimes." he laughed

"Just with new people?"

"Yeah kind of." We went through to a room with one wall made entirely of glass to look out over the city. Seth pushed a button and a meal appeared, a huge chunk of beef and vegetables drizzled in honey and some kind of seeds, rolls in the shape of flowers and some kind of pudding.

"Ok now lets talk, first of all lets discuss your costume for the ceremony."

"Fire?"

"Fire, but unlike previous years where it's ether flaming capes or hair or glowing embers we're going to be a little different."