Chapter 13 - Jaxon

Start from the beginning

I know Coach told me not to engage in trash talk but I can't help it. If he's feeling unsteady before we've even fought, his punches won't be accurate if I goad him into them. He's feeling too much right now. I'm known for predictions so I take the gamble.

"You should relish the fact that you're a newbie, too. Might save you the humiliation when I knock your ass to the bottom of your career."

He snarls and I tilt my head mockingly.

"Assuming you have a career to begin with."

And that does it.

He snaps and strikes.

And because I know exactly what's coming, I duck under his left jab before he's even finished delivering it. The crowd loses it when his fist meets air and looks at the empty spot in front of him in confusion.

"Newbie." I mock and he turns.

Another mistake.

My counterpunch meets his jaw hard enough that he stumbles back. The cheering rises to an insane volume and the guys are tapping my side of the ring feverently. The first point goes to me.

"Cage!" I hear Coach yell and turn to meet his unhappy glare. "Stop goading him and playing games. Fight the way I taught you!"

I nod because he's right. Play time was over.

Sanders comes at me, hands poised to punch. I use my peripheral training to stealthily watch his feet. I know he steps with the side he's about to punch with. When I catch his right foot come forward, I lean my head to the side just to miss his right straight punch. I snap my attention back to his legs just in time to see his left foot shift forward. I duck and miss and his left hook. Bad move on his part for using offense one arm after the other because now he's left wide open. I'm still at eye level with his chest from ducking so I turn my right forearm toward my face and straighten out my legs, shooting up and clocking him in the chin with an uppercut. His head snaps to the side and he loses his footing. Second point goes to me.

"Good defense!" I hear Coach yell.

I keep trained on Sanders, watching as he raises his right arm and I poise my left shoulder to block him. I make the mistake of watching his arms instead of his feet and I don't catch his faux strike in time. My right side is left open. His left arm jabs me in the stomach with more force than I expected. I curl over and swear under my breath. I should've known better than to estimate him. Third point goes to Sanders.

"That's what I fucking thought." Sanders sneers and I try to keep my anger in check. No personal emotions.

I straighten myself up, prepared to strike him again, but he beats me to it. He lands a swift hook to my eye and my head turn to the side from the blow. Damn it. Fourth point goes to him. The ass was getting revved up by the crowd, who was now screaming for every point he took.

The bell rings, signaling the end of the first round and I trudge back to my side. Coach meets me halfway, ducking into the ring with a stoic expression.

"You let him get to you." He says simply.

I curl my fists to contain my anger.

"No shit." I growl when he removes my mouth guard.

"Don't start with me. That was on you for underestimating him. He may act like a little shit but he's good." Coach scolds and I wisely refrain from speaking.

"I had the upperhand." I try to defend but Coach stops me.

"You did. And did you see, how in a matter of seconds, he landed two blows on you? This is what I mean when I say don't let your guard down. Not even for a moment. The player may be predictable but the game isn't. The course of it can change before you even blink. You have to stay on your toes until the final bell goes off."