Heart of steel chapter 9

Start from the beginning

"Chase," he said, his voice hoarse.

"Xander what happened?" i asked, looking into his eyes.

They looked at mine and slowly i could see them fill up with tears. Just as they were about to spill over a women called Xander's name. She was a blonde nurse who looked like she could take out anyone.

She had just walked out of the room opposite where Xander and i were now standing. Xander's face lit up and he rushed over to her.

"Well?" he asked. They walked over into a corner and started talking about something. She had pity in her eyes and Xander was nodding, a hunch forming in his back. What what going on?

The nurse said one last thing and Xander nodded one last time and he turned again and walked back towards me, his face fallen.

I was trying to make sense of this so i asked the questions swelling through my mind. "Is Scar okay?"

He nodded.

"Are you okay?"

He nodded.

"Did your parents do something?"

He shook his head.

"Are you going to tell me what's going on?"

He hesitated, but then nodded and slumped back down on the chair.

"Do you remember that new girl? The one that came last Friday."

I looked up as i tried to remember. I could vaguely remember. "Christe?" i asked.

"Charlie," he corrected. 

 "Oh yeah, what about her?"

He looked down at his feet. "She is sick."

So she is the one he is here for. They can't know each other that well, she was at school for a day! "How sick are you talking?"

"I'm talking in a coma sick," he replied.

I gasped. That girl must be pretty damn sick to be in a coma. "Is that why you haven't been at school all week?" i suddenly turned angry. "What the hell Xander, i know you must care for this girl but that doesn't mean you have to make yourself sick to! Have you even slept?" I demanded the answer. I gave him another look over. "Or eaten?"

He sighed. "I'm sorry, Chase. It's...scary."

My anger turned to pity as i saw his face transform from pretending to be strong to that of a scared 5 year old. I saw something in his eyes then.

"You really care for this girl, aye?" i say, smiling.

He nods.

"What happened? From start until now."

He talked for about twenty minutes, explaining how she came and talked to him at school and he could see she was different, and how they went to the beach and played around and how she had the heart attack at the beach the next day. He told me how she collapsed in his arms and blood was coming out of the tubes that had teared and how he went for some fresh air but came back to find her in a coma. He explained the feeling he got everytime a nurse or doctor made eye contact with him, hope formed but when they told him she wasn't showing any signs of waking up soon that hope vanished into sadness.

He said Tracey, one of the doctors, was a real help. That somehow she understood him and could always give him more hope when he lost it.

And then he told me about her parents.

"I...I don't get it they seem so strange. Tracey said that the heart disease Charlie has she would have had her whole life, but her parents are acting as if they have never even heard of the thing."

We were now sitting cross legged in one of the lounges. Two kids were playing with the hospital's toys that were probably full of diseases, laughing and playing hapilly.

"Doesn't that seem strange?" he asked, looking at me.

I opened my mouth to answer but he cut me off. "I mean-"

Xander too was cut off by the doors opening and a couple walking in, whispering loudly. "We can't just say that it will be too susp-"

It took me a moment to realise that the women had stopped and was looking at me, caught in the act of eavsdropping.

"What the hell are you doing back here?" she hissed. My eyes widened but i saw that she was now glaring at Xander.

This must be Charlie's parents.

*   *   *

Sorry i havent uploaded in a long while. With christmas and everything its been a bit busy

 How was everyones christmas!??

Hope you enjoyed and liked the story

Comment and vote if you think i should keep going with this story!

Sarah, x