CHAPTER FORTY THREE

Start from the beginning

"I just feel like I don't know you anymore," she said after a while of just staring at me. I almost gasped as my heart dropped. 

"Mom..." I pleaded in disbelief. 

"What? I mean I know how it sounds but it's true, that's how I feel right now. Like...." She trailed off, sighing loudly and throwing her hands up in the air. "Do you have a... a.. boyfriend? Did something happen on that camping trip you went on? Because you have been different ever since you came back." I bit my lip, not knowing for sure how to approach this. 

"Okay," I said slowly, holding my palm up at her. "Yeah, you're right maybe I have been acting different since I got home. But that's because I enjoyed myself when I thought I wouldn't and I made more friends and-"

"Do they know? Does Hadley know?" she interjected, cutting me off. I looked at her knowingly for a moment before answering. 

"Yes..." I said cautiously, "They know." 

"Okay," she replied flatly. "You didn't answer my other question." I closed my eyes and sighed loudly. "You do, don't you?" 

"Yes. I do. And I'm happy. He makes me happy," I paused. "So I guess if nothing else, I'd at least hope you'd want that for me," I said, my eyes becoming slightly watery as I fought back the sudden lump that was forming in my throat. She nodded her head but didn't say anything else. "Did you tell Dad?" I asked suddenly. She looked at me warily for a moment then nodded again. "And?" I prodded.

"He's disappointed," she replied. I looked away again, focusing on nothing in particular as I fought hard to keep my tears from falling.

"Okay," I whispered. I turned around again and headed for the door. 

"Griffin where are you going?" She demanded as she followed me. 

"I'm not sorry for being me," I told her as I closed my hand around the door handle and pulled open the door. "You can tell him that," I said. She didn't say anything as I closed the door behind me and quickly headed down off the front porch and over to my car. I unlocked the door and climbed in, wasting no time starting the engine and backing out of the driveway. 

About ten minutes down the road my phone beeped from the cupholder I had set it in. I glanced down at it, picking it up and returning my eyes to the road before looking again. It was Gracie. 

I love you Griffin. The message read. I realized I had forgotten to ask my Mom if she said anything to my sister, but then, my sister had to know something was up when I never came home and I'm sure our parents were acting weird. 

Love you too. I spoke to my phone so it would compose the text and send it back to her. Just after I sent it she started calling me. I briefly considered not answering. 

"Hello?" I said as I hit the green answer button.

"Hey," Gracie replied, her voice was subdued. 

"What's up?" I asked, trying to sound like everything was normal. 

"I heard about what happened," she replied. I nodded, assuming as much. When I didn't immediately reply, she spoke again. "Have you been at Hadley's?" 

"No," I replied. There was a pause for a minute. 

"Grif...." I heard her sigh. "It may not seem like it right now, but give it time. Mom and Dad will come around," she told me, I could tell she was trying to be positive for me. 

"Yeah, I'm sure they will," I replied. It was more to appease her than what I really believed at the moment though. "Can I ask you something?" 

"Of course," she answered. I thought for a moment. 

"Is it a shock?" I asked. There was a pause again. 

"If I'm honest, no, not really. Which is why I said Mom and Dad will come around. I guess I've always known, I just was waiting for you to know," she replied. I nodded my head. "Grif, I know I'm your annoying little sister, but...I'm also your biggest fan too. I just want you to know that." I smiled at that. 

"Thanks Gracie I appreciate that. I wish Mom said something like that when she asked if I had a boyfriend.." I muttered. I mentally slapped myself when I realized that I had let it slip. 

"You have a BOYFRIEND!!? OH MY GOD that makes me so happy!" She said excitedly. "Sorry," she said in a more composed voice. "I don't mean to be the super annoying girl, but really that's great Griffin. Is he handsome?" She asked. I blushed. I had to admit it felt weird but also nice talking openly about Tyce with her. 

"Yes.." I said. 

"Well I know it's sudden but whenever you're ready I'd love to meet him!" She said happily. I chuckled a little. Then a serious thought occurred to me. 

"What do you think Ronan will think?" I asked her nervously. The last thing I would want is for her relationship to be messed up because of me. 

"I'm sure it's no big deal to him, but if it is I'd dump his ass," She scoffed. 

"I wouldn't want to ruin anything for you," I said honestly. 

"Grif don't even worry about that okay? You're my brother and I love you," she said warmly. I couldn't help but be overcome with a warm feeling when she said that. 

"I love you too Gracie," I replied. 

"Ooh I almost forgot! What's his name?" She asked me. I could almost see her wiggling her eyebrows. I blushed again. I had a feeling whenever I talked about Tyce to anyone my cheeks were bound to heat up.

"His name is Tyce," I told her. 

"I like it! Alright well I gotta go, but I'll talk to you soon?" She said. 

"Of course," I replied. 

"Alright bye Grif!" She said cheerfully. 

"Bye," I said, ending the call. I let out a deep breath. Even with all of the anxiety I still felt over my parents, hearing Gracie say she was totally fine with it gave me at least a little relief. A smile tugged at my lips as I drove down the road.