CHAPTER ONE

"Okay everyone, take notes because you will be tested on everything on these slides," the professor droned on at the front of the classroom. It was a large college class of about 40 something students, with stadium seating that featured comfortable purple and black chairs with wheels on the bottom. I always found a seat near the back of the large room up at the top, for a couple of reasons. First, so that I wouldn't get called on to answer a question. Second, so I could doodle on my paper and talk to whisper to my friends, and third, so I would be one of the first few students to leave the classroom so I didn't have to wait behind slow ass people.

"Er, Griffin. Are you paying any attention?" Hadley said, her finger poking my shoulder. Hadley was one of my best friends. We'd known each other since our elementary school days and had been friends ever since. Most people assumed we were a couple, but I'm gay and Hadley is one of only a few people who knows about that. I glanced in her direction as her dark brown eyes stared at me. I rolled my eyes.

"I don't really care. This class is so boring," I whined quietly as she giggled.

"Stop being pouty! We only have 10 more minutes left," she replied, smirking at me. Her brown hair was pulled back into a pony tail and it shook as she laughed. I sighed and twirled my black pen around in my fingers. I looked around the room, wondering if anyone else was as bored as I was, but everyone else seemed to be focusing on the material like every diligent student should. I, on the other hand, was slowly losing my motivation. I can't explain why exactly, but lately I've just felt weighed down with school. I wanted some excitement, and I just felt like life was pretty mundane at the moment and had been for a while.

"Okay class, we have reached the end of the lecture today, so we're going to go ahead and stop here. Will we continue tomorrow and I will post the notes from todays presentation online," the professor announced. I smirked as I closed my notebook and stuffed it in my bag.

"What's the point of spending the whole hour taking notes when they're just posted online afterwards," I asked over my shoulder to Hadley, who was busy slinging her backpack over her shoulder.

"Because then you don't have to do it at home, duh," she said, as we both began making our way towards the doors. I shook my head.

"Well I think it's so stupid. I'll wait until he gives us the study guide for the test and then figure out what I need to take notes on to study, rather than wasting my time writing down useless information," I scoffed. Hadley sighed loudly.

"You think everything is stupid."

"No I don't!" I replied, somewhat defensively. "I'm just honest."

"Oh please," Hadley rolled her eyes, "wipe that smug look off your face Grif. You don't even wanna go camping with me! You think it's stupid!" She teased. I shook my head.

"I never said going camping with you was stupid, even if it would be a little weird, but I think it's stupid to go with a whole bunch of people I don't even know!" I explained as we walked on the sidewalk. It was a beautiful sunny day and all the leaves on the trees were finally green, as it was June and springtime was finally over.

"Most people would find it exciting to go on a trip and meet some new people," She replied as we walked towards the parking lot. I sighed loudly.

"Well I'm not most people. Deal with it!" I said playfully.

"Um. No I won't deal with it. You'll deal with it, because you're coming whether you want to or not!" She said as she playfully punched my arm.

"Ow! That hurt!" I mocked.

"Shut up!" She laughed. We arrived at my blue civic in the parking lot and I unlocked the doors. Hadley climbed in the passenger seat. "It's gonna be fun I promise!"

"Yeah, yeah if you say so. Now what do you wanna eat?" I asked as I started the engine and pulled out of the parking spot I was in.

"I don't know. What sounds good to you?" Hadley said.

"What always sounds good to me, a cheeseburger!" I declared, causing Hadley to laugh.

"You're such a dork!" She said, and turned the dial up on the air conditioning.

"You love me," I teased her. She smiled. I pulled out onto the street and into traffic.

After I ordered at the drive up and we got our food, Hadley turned to me.

"So...about the camping trip. I know what might make you a little more interested in going."

"Oh yeah?" I said skeptically between bites, "Like what?" I raised an eyebrow.

"Hot guys!" She grinned widely. I nearly choked on my fries. I coughed and I could feel my cheeks heating up. "Wow." Hadley giggled, "I nearly killed you!"

"Shut up!" I replied, throwing a fry at her. "You know I'm terrible at talking to other guys. I get all awkward."

"I know! It's actually really cute!" She exclaimed excitedly. I rolled my eyes.

"No it isn't. It's embarrassing. Plus there's no way of really knowing if anyone is gay that's going," I told her.

"You never know until you try! But even still Grif, eye candy is always nice. So we get the best of both worlds on this trip, nice fresh mountain air, and eye candy! It's a win-win!"

"Well I don't really have a say do I?" I pulled a face. "Plus, I'm not some guy thats desperate for a boyfriend. I can just have friends too, which I already have mind you." I said pointedly.

"Of course I know that, but you can't deny that if certain things happened you wouldn't be thrilled," she laughed at herself. "So stop being a boob and be excited! It's gonna be fun!"

"Okay, one. I am not a boob! Not even close, and two, you don't even know who's all going to be there do you?" I said. She shrugged.

"Well I know some of the people coming. April, Brody, Zaiden, and Izzie are for sure going. They'll probably invite some people they know to come. I really think you're worrying too much as always. You just need to get out more," Hadley said.

"What, you're saying I don't get out enough just because I don't wanna go on some camping trip with a bunch of strangers?" I asked defensively.

"Yes, exactly! You're 22 years old and you only hang out with me. Not that I don't enjoy hanging with you, you're my best friend. But seriously, you need to broaden your horizons! And as your friend I'm here to help you do it," She replied, wiggling her eyebrows at me.

"I hate you," I sighed.

"I know," she laughed.