11; the second task

CHAPTER ELEVEN

CHAPTER ELEVEN.

"Oh look... If it isn't my favourite mudblood and blood traitor," Avena sighed flopping into the lush patterned chair in Dumbledore's office. They weren't alone either, a small tiny girl who was around eleven stood in the corner. She was shaking so badly that Avena predicated a simple boo would have sent the girl sprinting into another dimension.

Avena Detroit happened to be in a particularly bad mood that day. Whether is was because of a rather rash and heated encounter she'd had with Pansy Parkinson or the fact she was operating off next to no sleep (a mix of leaving her Charms assignment to the last minute and helping her unofficial boyfriend prepare for the second task). After what had felt like hundreds of years and reading copious amounts of old textbooks they'd found the Bubblehead Charm. It was a neat little spell that caused a large bubble to covers one's head and after practicing for a few hours they had nailed it. Needless to say they'd both been very proud of themselves.

The task started in less than six hours, most students were expected to be in class. How anyone was supposed to concentrate she didn't know. As they sat in silence she wondered why they were all there. Lately she hadn't done anything to either Ron or Hermione. Avena hadn't even seen the little girl in the corner before. She huffed crossing her arms and staring darkly at the wall, the moving portraits of previous headmasters whispering amongst themselves.

The small first year that had been sent to come and get her and said Dumbledore was already waiting for them. This apparently was incorrect as around five minutes had passed. Ron was whispering to Hermione in the corner prompting his curly haired friend to roll her eyes.

"If you have something to say to me, say it to my face you wimp!" Avena picked up a book before dropping back on the ground with a loud thud. Of course Ron Weasley had some sort of half arsed comeback to use but it never came to that for Dumbledore finally made an appearance.

All four of the kids stood up nodding respectfully at him (Avena letting out a loud groan as she realized she had to move). Dumbeldore raised his wand, it looked completely shady causing all four of them to take a step back. Then he mumbled something and Avena had time to exchange a startled glance with Hermione Granger before she fell asleep.

The spell that Dumbledore had cast was called Bewitched Sleep. It was a difficult spell that had been mentioned in one or two charm classes. Basically it sent the target into sleep, in a state where they neither breathed nor moved. It was almost like a suspended animation.

It was a neat little spell and suited the task set before the champions well. Each of the now bewitched had been the referred to 'items'. The small girl for Fleur, Ron for Harry, Hermione for Victor Krum and Avena for Cedric. None of the champions were aware they'd been taken. Yes, Cedric had spent a few fruitless hours where he should have been preparing looking for Avena, they'd all looked for the chosen one.

They were in one of the Mer Villages all waiting to be recused. Cedric had grabbed Avena quickly and swum rapidly up to the surface worried she was running out of air; she had no clue any of this was even occurring. They came to the surface and the spell broke. Avena hadn't expected to find herself soaking wet in a lake, with Cedric's hand around her waist as the students cheered loudly around him.

"What the actual hell is going on," she splashed her hands around as Cedric let out a laugh. She glared at him splashing saltier water into his eyes.

"Okay!" He held the hand that wasn't around her waist into the air, "Why don't we just swim to the shore?"

"I hate your logic," she grumbled beginning to swim away, her dark robes swirling around her; hopefully she hadn't left her Potions Essay in one of the pockets otherwise it was more than likely ruined. It wasn't until they pulled themselves to the shore that she realised how cold she was. Next to her Cedric shivered wrapping his arm around her again. It was in an attempt to keep them warm yet also to keep her close as he wasn't sure if the task was completely over just yet.

They noticed Fleur wrapped in a towel staring at the water anxiously but didn't exchange any words for they were quickly covered in towels by an anxious Madam Pomfrey. The nurse ushered them into a small tent where a fire burned brightly. As they stood by it, warming themselves up a smile crossed over Avena's face.

"So you'd sorely miss me?"

"Shuddup," He mumbled, his cheeks burning brighter than the fire.