4; conscious thoughts

CHAPTER FOUR

CHAPTER FOUR.

Avena Detroit sat on the windowsill of one of the buildings staring down at the courtyard below. The snow had cleared in time for the first task that was taking place the very next day. She ignored the students walking past who all whispered under the sick idea she was pining for Draco. In fact, she was practically over the boy, sure they'd spent ages together but it had mostly just been kissing and making other people's live miserable. Yes, they were two pastimes she enjoyed but she wanted someone that made her feel something more. Something that Draco Malfoy hadn't and ever would give her.

But when she thought about it the person who came to mind was Cedric Diggory but Avena wasn't one to rush into romance head on. Every single time she'd kissed Ced had been in the presence of Draco, in an attempt to mess with him. There was no denying the attraction she felt towards Cedric but Avena just didn't know what to do. And not knowing what to do made Avena feel a way she didn't like feeling hopeless.

Then there was the fact Cedric had seemed genuinely hurt by the fact she'd been using him to get back at Malfoy. Sure he'd known since the start but it didn't stop her from feeling immense guilt.

That was the single thing that alarmed her more than anything. The Avena Detroit actually feeling bad for something she did, the idea was unheard of. She groaned resting her head in the palms of her hand, she felt guilty. She didn't think she should be, getting back at a cheating ex wasn't exactly something one should feel sorry for, but she did. The expression on his face seemed to always be there, this crestfallen looking boy. The thing was if anyone was to know she felt bad, they'd laugh. To think she was actually sorry about something's was like saying pigs could fly. Then there was the concept of saying sorry which made her want to puke, standing there pouring our heart and soul into a confession to make someone else feel better just cramped her style.

"Are you okay?" It was, it was the hesitant voice of Hermione Granger that drew Avena's attention away from her own little pity fest. Avena scoffed raising an eyebrow to look at her with cold expression.

"Is the little mudblood trying to talk to me?" she asked sourly.

"God!" Hermione Granger shook her busy head glaring at her annoyed, "You know you're not as amazing as you think you are,"

"Well personally I think I'm pretty darn amazing so that's enough for me," Avena replied her expression not changing, "So don't think for a second that just because Draco and me are over means that this," she motioned between the two of them, "Would actually work,"

"I thought you might actually be nice," Hermione didn't back down, "What with you hanging out with Cedric and all,"

"Right, so I can't be a bitch and hang out with nice people," She snorted, "What has the world come too,"

Hermione Granger didn't move, being as stubborn as ever. These confrontations happened at least twice a year never ending well. Hermione grew more and more stubborn whilst Avena become ruder and eventually someone was hexed. Avena was actually enjoying the little encounter the two of them were having as she was know focused on something completely different. Hermione was silent studying her quietly as Avena slid off the windowsill and walked towards her.

"Something's wrong," Hermione whispered thoughtfully.

"Wow, I swear everyone I know is a genius," Avena patted Hermione's shoulders as she began to walk away.

"If this is about Cedric Diggory-" Hermione began before Avena stopped her with a slight smile.

"What else could this be about Granger," She gave a curt nod before spinning on her heels and walking off. Her life story was none of Hermione Granger's business, it wasn't like the annoying witch could help anyway. She may be smart but even Granger couldn't solve all the world's problems. The Gryffindor always interest Avena but not enough to actual investigate. She figured that whatever the girl did she did and she was only useful when looking for someone to tease.

The feeling in her chest, the weighing sense of guilt, was still there. The other teen had momentarily distracted her but now her guilt was enveloping her like the great sea. She shook her black hair checking over her shoulder to see if Granger was still insistent on following. Luckily she was blessed with silence and continued on her way mulling over her thoughts. It made her think of the quote, no amount of guilt can change the past and no amount of anxiety could change the future.

She wasn't sure who had made the quote, undoubtedly having read it in some wizard's autobiography. She'd read so many the past week they'd all seemingly blended into one. In a way the breakup had caused her to actually get a hobby aside from annoying people.

She enjoyed the silence that was only ruined by the click of her boots. A thousand words seemed to run through her head as she accepted the inevitable. She as going to apologize to Cedric Diggory.