GODS & MONSTERS honors NEVERMOR

Start from the beginning

A few tears slipped down her face, supplies. . . that's why Chloe and Brian had left their home. After her single mother took off to find supplies and never came back, they made way to their uncle's home in hopes to find him alive, and stocked up. Chloe and Brian had made it the 6 blocks to their uncle's without incident, it had seemed all the zombies had been heading for one street. . . one particular house, it made it easy to stay away from trouble. They just had to be quiet.

Once they reached their Uncle's street, Brian had gotten a bit too brave and stopped watching where he was walking, so when he kicked the car bumper laying in the middle of the street close to their Uncle Mark's house, the zombies walking near by turned and ran at Chloe and Brian. In a matter of moments zombies were crawling, gimping, and running at them from every direction.

Brian being 6, but more the size of a 5 year old, and having much shorter legs wouldn't of been able to keep  up with Chloe or out run some of the zombies that were still rather fresh. . . of the zombies Chloe had recognized one particular one. He was from her school Pflugerville High, number 22 Gonzalez. . . the fastest runner on the football and track team.

"RUN BRIAN!! Get to Uncle Mark's!" Chloe screamed. . .Chloe made as much noise as she could to grab the all the attention from Brian as he ran towards their uncle's and she ran away from her uncle's house. She kept screaming as she ran around the block once, then back tracked toward's her uncle's, hoping to get to safety. Chloe had made it so close to safety too, till she some how got surrounded. Her only option was to lock herself in a broke down car in the middle of the street, so close yet so far from the safety of her Uncle Mark's house. . . till she was rescued by the man with hypnotizing green eyes.

Two days when locked up can seem forever. Chloe spent most of the time caught in her thoughts while laying in her makeshift bed in the tub. She replayed the entire outbreak over in her head, trying to make sense of it. All she could gather was that it must be the Apocalypse. The electricity and water had never gone out, though she had no idea why, but her Mom made sure they used it as little as possible, so to not draw attention to the house.

Her Mom was an over protective single parent, and had gathered supplies to stock up before the outbreak had made it to their state. . . Chloe felt bad for criticizing her Mom for being paranoid. Thanks to her Mom watching the news nonstop they survived the worst of the outbreaks, and needed for nothing as all their neighbors had to risk their lives for food and supplies. The first few days Chloe, her mom, and her brother Brian huddled in their own bathroom made up much how the one she was in now was set up, listening to their neighbors and friends being attacked, eaten, and turned outside. News channels had continued to report for the first few days, till a generic message saying stay inside was put on loop. . .once the loop had started, her Mom turned the small portable t.v. off.

She also spent time thinking about the men she assumed were military. She even went as far as to day dream that they would come back and rescue her and whats left of her family. . . they never came back, but the zombies were becoming scarce. She let herself believe for a moment that they were watching out for her, and possibly other families around, still alive in other houses. She daydreamed about them chilling on the roof tops shooting anything undead within a long range of her and any other survivors.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After the two days Chloe was let out of the bathroom, Brian was allowed to see her, and Mark kept watch. Brian clung to her and cried. "Please take me home. I want to see Mommy!" He begged Chloe.

She kept a brave face in front of him,"She is waiting for us in heaven booger, but she is watching us, so be strong ok?" he nodded and sniffed. He rolled over on the mattress they shared in an upstairs spare room.