4 (A frozen river that's not so frozen)

I was awoken the next day by talking.

"Maybe you should try some on your friend." A deep voice said. I then felt a sweet liquid drop into my mouth. I felt much better. My ankle didn't hurt and I was wide-awake. I noticed I was in Peter's arms.

"Addy!" Everyone screamed. My feet got put on the ground and everyone hugged me tight.

"You had a fever this morning so we carried you all the way." Peter explained.

"Actually King Peter carried you." Mrs Beaver explained. I hugged Peter again and thanked him. Then I turned and saw Father Christmas.

"Welcome back Adelaide. Now Susan. Trust in this bow and it will not easily miss." He handed Susan a smaller bow to mine, but slightly bigger than a dwarf bow.

"What happened to battles are ugly affairs?" Susan asked.

"Though you don't seem to have a problem making yourself heard. Blow this and help will always come." Father Christmas handed her a beautifully crafted horn. Susan thanked him for the gifts and stepped back.

"Peter. The time to use these is close at hand." Father Christmas handed him a sword with a lion at the hilt, and a matching shield. Peter unsheathed to sword and smiled. Even without the proper training Peter looked like he was a King, a fine swordsman, a man.

"These are tools. Not toys. Now I must be off, winter is almost over." With that he left in his sleigh, with us all shouting bye and merry Christmas.

"We better hurry. He said winter is almost over." Peter spoke up.

"No more ice." He finished. We all began running to the frozen river.

Our group reached the river to see it cracking and breaking away, sending fragments floating away. All my hope that had been created was washed away with the vicious current that was guiding the ice down river.

"We need to cross now!" Peter said urgently.

"Don't Beavers make dams?" Lucy asked.

"We're not that fast, dear." Beaver answered. Peter grabbed my hand and pulled me towards the steep pathway.

"Wait can we just think about this for minute." Susan asked, in a scared tone. She reminded me of a mother, one that worried for the safety of her children.

"We do not have a minute your grace." I spoke in a rushed yet respectful way.

"I was just trying to be realistic." Susan defended, in a hurt way although I could tell that she did not hate nor blame me for it.

"No you were trying to be smart, as usual." Peter interjected and began pulling me down the route. We were half way down when we heard the howl of wolves from behind us. The new threat made us hurry down, causing me to lose my footing on the icy path. Peter, being the one with lightening quick reflexes, grabbed my waist and balanced me again. I smiled in thanks and we continued our descent.

At the bottom I caught sight of the distressed look that covered Peters face. Lucy grabbed hold of Peters other hand, while Peter kept my hand locked with his. The cracking of ice consumed the air around us, filling every gap so that was all you could hear, that sound brought with it so much danger. Peter stepped forward, only for the ice to sink down under his weight. I pulled him back to stand at my side.

"Wait, maybe I should go first." Beaver told us. Then began tapping his tail on the ice, searching for the stronger patches. Cautiously, we all began to follow. Terror, fear, apprehension, are all emotions that were clouding my judgement. Lucy screamed as she stepped on weaker ice, Peter pulling her closer to him. I pulled my hand out of Peter's and began walking across the ice. After all the practise of agility I have learnt to spread my body weight evenly.

"If mum knew what we were doing." Susan said.

"Mum's not here!" Peter snapped back at his sister.

"Oh no!" Lucy cried. I looked up and saw wolves making there way down to cut us off. We were half way across the ice, so close to the other side, so close to safety. We all ran under the command of Peter. I now didn't care about the ice; I cared about the approaching wolves. I took my bow off my back and drew an arrow from my quiver, readying myself.

The wolf, Maugrim, jumped in front of us, along with Tetter, Netters brother. Behind us three wolves blocked our only other way out. I drew back the arrow and pointed it at Tatter, who now had Beaver lodged in his jaws.

"No!"

"Peter!" Lucy called to her brother who bravely drew his sword.

"Put that down boy and you Princess! Someone could get hurt." Maugrim spat. I did not fire at Tatter for risk of hitting Beaver. I was sure that Tatter would move behind Beaver so the arrow would have hit him.

"Don't worry about me, run him through!" Beaver instructed. Peter did no such thing, instead just pointed his sword at Maugrim while moving his family behind him. I stayed in sight of Tatter.

"Leave while you still can, and your brother can come with you." Maugrim reasoned. I, however, knew that this was all false. Maugrim would stop at nothing to get what the white witch wanted, and that was our heads mounted on the wall.

"Stop! Peter, maybe we should listen to him!" Susan protested.

"Do not even dare consider that Peter, he would kill us all!" I shouted to him, earning a glare from Susan.

"Smart girl. Not smart Princess!" He snapped at me.

"Kill him!" Beaver commanded. Lucy was scared stiff, Susan looked scarred, Peter looked terrified. I do not think that Peter had it in him at the time, to kill Maugrim.

"This is not your war. All my queen wants is for you to take your family and go home!" Maugrim explained.

"Look, just because a man in a red suit hands you a sword, doesn't make you a hero! Drop it!" Susan shouted. Peter looked torn.

"Do not Peter! Narnia needs you! I can't fight this war alone! I need you!" I pleaded with him. He locked eyes with me for a brief moment, seeing the fear in my eyes must have made him think about what he was doing, or at least compose himself a little better.

"What's it going to be son of Adam? I won't wait forever. Neither will the river." Maugrim pointed out. As if on cue a crack ran down the centre of the frozen water fall behind us, indicating the impending wave of water that was due to crash down on top of us all.

"Peter!" Lucy alerted. We all looked to see it about to burst.

"Hold on to me!" Peter told us. We all rushed forward and hung on as Peter plunged his sword deep into the ice. In that instant, the water flooded over us, soaking our clothes and taking our breath away. The force sent us under. I opened my eyes to see a small figure loose grip of Peter. Lucy Pevensie.

I used the ice that was still submerged to push myself forward towards the small flailing body. I gripped her waist and swam to the side of the river I knew the other Pevensies would be. I noticed that she was coatless and shivering. I grabbed her hand and we headed for the others.

"Lucy!" "Addy!" I heard Peter and Susan call for us.

"Has anyone seen my coat?" Lucy asked them. Relief filled Peter's face as he spun around to face the both of us. He put Lucy's coat on, and hugged her tight. Susan then came and hugged Lucy while Peter wrapped me in a tight embrace.

"Thank you for saving Lucy. I am so glad you are safe." He whispered into my head. I snuggled more into his chest as he kissed my hair. I smiled.

"Don't worry, your brother has you well looked after." Beaver smiled.

"I don't think you'll be needing those coats anymore." Mrs Beaver drew our attention to the melting of the snow. No longer could icicles be seen hanging from branches. No longer could you hear the crunch of snow beneath your feet. We passed a blossom tree, the blossoms still coated in frost. Peter picked one of the frozen flower bunches, only a small one, and placed it in my hair.

"Beautiful." He said lovingly. I blushed and looked down, continuing walking, hoping Peter had not noticed my blush, but knowing he had.