Well, when he put it that way...

"Yes," she answered seriously. Maybe if he saw how serious she was he would be swayed.

It didn't work. "No."

"What? Hey, just think about it for a second."

"I have thought about it and frankly, that sounds like the stupidest thing anyone has ever said to me."

"No wait, just hold on one second." She paused, trying to collect her thoughts. She had to convince him in some way. The more she thought about it, the better the idea seemed to her. She just need him to jump on board.

She would figure out what to say to a certain brown eyed prince later.

"What if I said that if that I could guarantee safety for you and your people to live amongst us. As one."

He looked at her with suspicion. "How will you attain that?"

"I could ..." What could she do? She was about to say that she could issue the decree herself since she would be queen but would she be? The king was dead. There was no longer anyone holding Saenar back from marrying his beloved Charmaline, if she happened to survive the attack. Mynera would probably be kicked out as soon as Lord Gavin's corpse hit the ground.

"Can't come up with a good enough lie?"

"Oh, I came up with one alright," she assured, still trying to think of how she could alott him his safety. "But I've decided to be honest."

"How praiseworthy of you."

"Isn't it?" Mynera turned to him. "I'm close with the prince. Once he's on the throne I'm one hundred percent certain he will issue the decree himself."

He just had to. She might not become queen but she knew Saenar; he was a good person. He would surely make sure that anyone who helped him achieve victory will get their reward.

She hoped.

"Surely you don't believe I'm going to throw away the life I've had for years over what you think may happen? Endangering my people at the same time?"

"I know it's a lot to ask for but –"

"I brought you here because I was sorry to you for what one of my men did. But if you continue to talk about this I will just ask you to leave."

She sighed. "Okay, okay. I'm done. For now."

His eyes narrowed at that but she was already out of her chair. She was far from done. She still had one more trick up her sleeve.

Please let this work.

"I'm feeling a bit tired," Mynera lied, nearing the flap of the tent. "I think I'll take a short nap before leaving."

He began to rise. "Then let me –"

"Oh, don't trouble yourself," she said quickly. "I'm sure I know how to make my way to an empty tent by myself. And besides, you said it yourself: They won't attack me."

A glimmer of suspicion crossed his face but he sat nonetheless. Which was just what she wanted. For him to stay put so that she can make her move.

She gave him a simple curtsy, not able to help it and regretting it immediately since it probably made her look more suspicious. Before he could say anything about it however, she ducked under the tent flap and went back to the cold of outside.

The fire was beginning to die and so the light was dimming rapidly. It was strong enough, however, for her to see what looked to be hundreds of vampires waiting for her outside the tent. Her steps faltered when she saw them staring.