21. Barron

Why was there such a pounding in her head?

Mynera opened her eyes slowly, taking her time so as to ease herself through the pain. Her head felt as if she had banged it on a rock over and over again.

She sat up, slowly. It was night and the first thing that she noticed was that she was moving. Yet, she was half sure her legs weren't in motion. But then, she couldn't be completely positive. Not with this pounding headache and this fog she had over her senses. What was happening?

"Hey, looks like she's waking up."

Her head turned in the direction of the voice. It was a man, his ugly face leering at her. When he saw her looking, he made a wide grin.

That was when the fog cleared and she noticed that she was in a cage of some sort. The ugly man's face was staring at her from the other side of the wooden bars.

They kidnapped her. That rotten Lord Ingstad, she was going to make sure he goes through hell for selling her out. How could he? To his own friend's son? It was treason! And she would make sure he got what he asked for. Just as soon as she got away from these red enemies.

Mynera's face screwed at the grinning red enemy, feeling her anger build.

"Oh!" He pointed at her like an excited child. "Why are you looking at me like that?"

"Let me out of here, you trash," she muttered.

"Let you out?" He cocked his head to side. "Why would I do that?"

"Let me out!"

She lunged after him but fell short. Her chin collided painfully into the bottom of the cage. What the ... they bounded her hands and feet together!

The red enemy pointed at her and started laughing. "Look at her struggling! This is hilarious! Come Barron, look!"

"Stop playing around with the prisoner."

Mynera looked up at the voice. She couldn't see who had spoken but, judging from his authoritative tone, he was the one in charge. The way the idiot in front of her blanched at his tone of voice only further proved her assumption.

"But ... but ..."

"Stop it, Kraub."

Kraub pouted, releasing the bars. He gave her one last look before turning his back to her.

Mynera quickly struggled to her knees. The rope they had used was beginning to cut into her skin now. The more she moved, the more it hurt. It was tied so tight too that her hands could barely bend to attempt to undo it.

Where was she? And why was her head pounding so much?

She scooted over to the edge of the cage and peered out. It was pitch black out. The most she knew right now was that she was being carried in a cage on top of a cart that was probably being pulled by a horse or an ass.

There was also at least two red enemies near her. Right now, she had no way of knowing if there were more.

Mynera looked into Kraub's back. He must have been put there to watch her. Although how he was going to watch her with his back turned was a mystery but this was too good an opportunity. She scooted over to the front – or what she assumed was the front – and tried to stick her head out. It was no use. The bars were too narrow for her head to fit. So, instead, she pushed her head as far as she could to see if there was a latch or something of the sort. There was.

Sending a quick glance at Kraub to make sure he was still oblivious, Mynera turned around and stretched up as far as she could go. She stuck her hand out and tried her best to reach it.