Chapter 11 - Green eyes

Alice 

******************

The cold winter sun shone down on the gardens. The bare trees shuddered in the breeze and the light bounced off the raindrops, everything glowed after last nights downpour. "It's a beautiful day" murmured Edward. 

"Yes it is" i agreed. 

"I can feel the sun, it's warm" he smiled, taking my hand again. We'd been sat here half an hour, it was my day off, i rarely got them so i was determined to enjoy this one. "What colour are your eyes?" he asked me suddenly.

 "Blue" i answered, "and yours?" 

"Green" 

"What type of green?" i asked.

"Leafy green" he grinned.

"Leafy?" i laughed, "is that a word?" 

"It is now" he announced. 

"Really?" i said dryly, my voice dripping with sarcasm. I'd never been so open or free with anyone before, except maybe my cousin, who didn't count as he was family...it was liberating. 

"Yes, i intended on writing to the oxford dictionary and demanding they put it in, leafy; a green colour like that of leaves on trees" 

I giggled, and he raised an eyebrow, "do i amuse you, Miss Hardwick?" he said.

"Why yes, Luitenant Kingston, very much so" i say, trying and failing to be serious. 

"You aren't to bad yourself, Miss Hardwick" 

I blushed and was a little grateful he couldn't see me. "Can't wait to get these bloody bandages off my eyes, and this cast" 

"Only next week till your eyes though" i said.

"Yes, but another six months for my cast" 

"I know, but at least-" i stopped midsentense, knowing he would probably kill me for what i nearly said. 

"At least what?" he said.

"At least i'll know your safe" i whispered, my voice cracking. 

He sighed and after a moment said "come closer" 

I did as he asked and he tucked me into his side, his good arm wrapped firmly around me, my head tucked into the crook of his neck. 

He kissed the top of my head and i shivered, it was cold. He hugged me tighter and i smiled, it was too perfect. "I feel as if i've abandoned my men, you know?" he said, i nodded. 

"Edward?"

"Hmm?" he said. 

"What, what is this?" i asked shakily. 

"What do you mean?" he said sharply, he was surprised.

"Well, we're not just friends, are we?" i was so confused.

"No, we aren't Alice" he said, rubbing my arms, warming me, "i don't know, it's all complicated" 

"How is this complicated?" i asked. 

"Just is" he said with a sense of finality. 

I picked up his hand and kissed it, "can we figure it out?" i said softly. 

"Sure we can" he said, a hint of amusement touching his voice. 

"Good" i said, hoping this was a sign of things to come. 

"It's cold" he said.

"Do you want to go back in?" i asked, disappointment falling from my voice unintentially.