My hands shook subconsciously as I pushed the elevator button, tugging at my skirt as the doors slid shut with ease.

"It's just an interview," I breathed, resting my head against the wall that I had my back to. When the doors slid open once more I took my millionth deep breath of the evening and slowly exited the elevator. I walked as calmly as possible, trying my best to keep a collected look on my face.

Truth be told, this was my first job interview... ever. I graduated from college two months ago, I majored in business. I was here for nothing more than a desk job, a receptionist - the ad specified. I wanted to get adjusted to the environment before I started making my mark on it.

"Miss Walker? You're ten minutes early, Mr. Styles is still in with another potential employee," A woman spoke frantically as her eyes peered at me from behind her thick glasses.

"Oh, I can just wait out here. I just intended on being, well, not late." I chuckled to myself as I spoke, earning a roll of the eyes from the woman.

Just a little ways down the hall a door opened hastily, and a shorter woman with tears as black as her mascara covering her cheeks rushed out the door, not daring to look back to where she had come from.

Shit, I bet that's where I'm going.

"Charlotte, tell me when the next person arrives, I'll be gouging my eyes out in remembrance of my experience with the last," a man called from the room. The woman, Charlotte I suppose, rose from her seat with a sigh and motioned for me to follow her. We both made our way down the hall very swiftly and without a word. Charlotte knocked on the door once before pushing it open.

"Miss Walker is here," was all she said before she was rushing back to her desk.

"Well, are you going to come in or just stand there with your mouth agape all day?" the same man I had heard moments ago spoke, a certain British slur softening his words in the slightest.

I entered the room at last and took a seat in front of the man, and I could feel the muscles in my body tense up as I looked the man over.

His hair was a brown that almost appeared black, it reached just below his shoulders and was disheveled from his fingers running through it time after time. His shirt was unbuttoned a quarter of the way down his torso, and the tie he once wore laid tangled on his desk. His shirt sleeves were rolled up, revealing the array of tattoos that marked his tanned skin. I couldn't quite make out his facial features, for he was staring down at a paper on his desk - probably my resume.

"You just got out of school, I see..." the man spoke as he glanced up from the papers laid out before him.

His piercing green eyes met mine and I nodded my head swiftly. This time it was his turn to take me in, his eyes sweeping over me as we sat in silence.

"Now tell me why on earth I'd want to hire some fresh out of college amateur who has no clue what the hell she's doing." The man spoke hastily as his eyes met mine once more.

"Well, I graduated in the top ten percent of my class - I was even number three - I took two–" I started, but the man silenced me with the lift of his hand and a roll of the eyes.

"I can read, thank you. I mean, other than intellect, why would I want to hire you."

"Oh, uhh... I'm very good with people, and I'm willing to work hard, honestly I just really need this job... I'll do anything."

I sighed and rubbed my legs nervously, offering a shy smile.

"Anything? That's quite the offer." The man smirked as he spoke, folding his hands together on his desk.

I bit my lip for no reason other than to hold back the disgusted face I was sure to make in response to Mr. Styles's perverted comment, a comment that I'm sure was meant to make me squirm. 

"When I put out the add for the job I wasn't expecting someone to come in and do all but get on her dainty little knees to get it... Say, are you willing to do anal too? Just asking of course, how much are you actually willing to do? Not sure someone simple-minded as yourself realized what you were implying when you said you'd do anything..." Mr. Styles spoke, working his fingers through his hair with a satisfied smile. 

I took a deep breath and bit my lip no more. 

"With that, I'll be going. I'd rather not work for a sexist bastard so if you wouldn't mind shredding my resume on my way out, it'd really be appreciated. While I'm at it and since I've got nothing else to lose, maybe you'll want to change your perspective - get off your high horse and realize there isn't a line of women outside your door just begging to fall to their knees for you, and with that attitude there never will be. Good day Mr. Styles, and good luck finding a woman gullible enough with no self-respect willing to work for such an arrogant asshole." I spoke, a smile plastered across my face as I stood. 

It wasn't until I was reaching for the door that Mr. Styles spoke again. 

"The job is yours. Matter of fact I'd like you to be my personal assistant, double the salary."

I turned to face him, taking in his facial features for the first time since the interview began. His eyes held their gaze with mine, his brows furrowed in concentration, his soft pink bottom lip tucked tightly between his straight white teeth as he anticipated my response. 

"Pardon?"

I stood, my hand still half-reaching for the door, my bewilderedness no doubt showing through my face. 

"Don't belittle yourself by pretending you misunderstood."

"You're hiring me, offering me a better, higher-paid job... after all those things I just said?" 

"You're fiery and you don't know when to shut your mouth but you do know how to stand up for yourself and you take nobody's shit, even when it may cost you the most important and promising job that will jumpstart your career. I'll have Charlotte contact you tomorrow about getting the full details of your job, if of course you are accepting it - and I'm assuming you aren't incompetent enough not to. Tell Charlotte to send in the next applicant for the desk job, but make no mistake in letting her think you're walking out empty handed. You've made quite the impression Miss Walker. I'll be seeing you." 

I informed Charlotte of the news, and she frowned in realization that she had just lost her job... to me. I apologized, but she didn't accept. Instead, she muttered that it was just how "the dick handled business," and she congratulated me and wished me luck. 

I couldn't deny that I was somewhat pleased with myself - not for taking someone else's job of course, but I had made such an impression that Mr. Styles offered me a much better job with twice the pay and was even willing to fire the person currently holding the position just so I could have it. 

"And momma said my sass wouldn't get me anywhere," I muttered as I climbed into the taxi that I had somehow managed to hail.