Two

"Ah, damn."

At this, the pretty brunette throws her head back and laughs heartily while Richard desperately wishes the ground would open up and swallow him whole.

"It's okay, don't worry about it," she says when her laughter finally subsides. "I know it's pretty bad."

She shrugs and glances up at the wretched painting. "I was going through an artsy phase when I made this—and all the others. Obviously, painting is not my calling. I told my sister these were too ugly to sell—and might even chase the customers away—but she still insisted on displaying them. She's supportive like that. ANYWAY..."

Pretty but Talentless Painter squares her shoulders and turns to face him. "How may I help you, sir? Is there a particular piece of furniture or home décor you're looking for?"

Richard blinks in surprise. "Oh, are you Coleen?"

She smiles and shakes her head. "Nope. Coleen is my sister. I'm just helping her out a bit. How do you know her?"

"I don't. Nirefer lang siya sakin ng kaibigan ko. He's scored a few pieces from here before, and he told me if I mentioned his name to her, I could get a discount?"

"Ah, well, you're in luck. She just got back." She nods in the direction of the attractive chinita who's just walked into the store. "Sis, you have a friend of a friend here to see you."

Furniture Store Owner Sister flashes him a friendly smile. "Hello, friend of a friend. What can I do for you today?"

For the next few minutes, Richard is preoccupied with checking out the various pieces of furniture Coleen presents to him. But even as he tries to concentrate on what she's saying as she enthusiastically points out the features of each locally handcrafted piece, he can't help but shoot furtive glances at her sister, who is now standing behind the counter, apparently busy with some paperwork.

"So what'll it be?" Coleen wraps up her sales talk and smiles expectantly at him.

Richard pauses and scratches his nose. "Well, all your pieces are impressive, but for now I'll just be needing the essentials, so I'll take that two-seater dining set, this couch and the bed frame with all the drawers and everything underneath...?"

"Ah, yes, the Remington Braganza Multifunctional Space-Saving Bed Frame."

"Mmhmm." He bites his tongue to keep from laughing. She's been so helpful and accommodating, he doesn't want to hurt her feelings. "That one."

As Coleen instructs a sales assistant to ring up his order, his cellphone buzzes with a message from his friend.

Mark: Faulkerson. Nasa BGC ka ba?

Richard: Yeah, I'm at that furniture store you told me about. What's up?

Mark: Ah, okay. Nandyan ba si Coleen?

Richard: Yeah, minention kita.

Mark: Good. She give you a discount?

Richard: Yeah, man.

Mark: Good, good. Alam mo ba na sobrang crush ako nun nung college?

Richard: Dammit, Mark. I'm busy. What do you want?

Mark: Chill, bro. May pinapabili sakin si Tere sa Market Market. I'm on my way there. Wanna get a drink before I head back?

Richard: Wow, did Tere let you off the leash today?

Mark: Ina mo.

Richard: Hahaha. Yeah, sure.

Mark: Sige, pero mga eight pa ko makakarating dun, kingina ang trapik sa EDSA.

Richard: K.

Mark: Say hi to Coleen for me.

Richard: Dude, you're married.

Mark: Hi lang naman eh!!

Richard: Fine. Her sister's here too. Cute.

Mark: Sino, si Niki? Dude, taken na yun. Wag kang homewrecker.

Richard: Nice.

Mark: Ay shet sorry. Nakalimutan ko. Touchy subject.

Richard: S'okay.

Mark: Wait, nag abroad na sila Niki eh. Baka si Maine yun.

Richard: I don't know which sister, okay? I didn't get her name.

Mark: Brown hair? Morena? Lips like Angelina Jolie?

Richard: Yes.

Mark: Faulkerson. Hottie yang si Maine.

Richard: Yes, I know, I have eyes.

Mark: Ang alam ko single siya.

Richard: Okay.

Mark: So??

Richard: What do you mean.

Mark: So ask her out, stupid!!

Richard: Eh.

Mark: Anong eh?? Don't be a p*ssy.

Richard: I'm not a p*ssy. You're a p*ssy.

Mark: F*ck you.

Mark: Ask her out.

Mark: Faulkerson.

Mark: P*ssy.

Mark: Ask her out.

Mark: You need this.