Chapter Twenty-Four

Chapter24 – One happy and one sad

Janeand Martha sat a long time together on the couch and didn't speak aword. The older friend was happy Jane was very understanding thistime and didn't speak before the door opened and Tracy came backlate. Her face was red and the smile on her lips had never beenbrighter.

"So!How was your date?" Jane pressed Martha's hand tight before lettinggo of it and listening to Tracy telling them of her night. Her friendhad never talked this much and fast. Both Jane and Martha knew whatcould be the only reason for her change of behaviour and smiledhappily with her.

"Hewas such a gentleman. He opened me doors and helped me on my chair.We drank wine and had dinner together. It was a bit expensive butHarry had told him he has to impress me, but I didn't think so and Itold John" Tracy's eyes were shining with happiness while shetalked about John's kindness and caring thoughts about everythingthat was going on. "I'm sure if he had somebody to take care of himhe would have been a very clever lawyer or doctor like his cousin.It's his shyness and that many people made fun of him that he stoppedreading about things that excited him. The sheeps were his bestfriends and when he told me this I wanted to cry"

Marthamade sure Jane wasn't interrupting Tracy who sounded like she hadmore than friendly feelings for John. Maybe Jane was right and theirfriend might not come back home with them.

"Andhow was your night?" Tracy stopped her speech of John and looked ather friends who shared a long look before Jane actually startedlaughing. "We were only talking of you and John. What else shouldwe have been doing?"

"I...I really hope you will get to like him more. Jane, I think I likeJohn" Tracy's words made Jane so happy that she ran from the couchto her friend and hugged her tight. "You have NO idea how long Iwait for this"

Marthawas happy for Tracy too but she couldn't move to congratulate her.Her thoughts were with someone else and at the same time she feltguilt. Tracy was happy now but what about herself?

Wasit wrong not to give Alec a second chance?

Shouldme maybe even have told him what really happened to her and would heeven understand?