Chapter 18 : Mr. Disturbed

Start from the beginning

Shit. Shit. Oh, shit.

It's the credit card he gave me last week and I so carelessly put it in the drawer.

I open my mouth to explain, just to say something, even though I don't know what I could even tell him, but he cuts me off.

''I seriously don't want to even hear what you have to say about this, Rory,'' he says, his voice hinting at how furious he is. His hand rakes through his hair in pure frustration. He's truly mad.

I bite down on my lip, not saying anything back because I don't want to piss him off any further.

''What do I have to do so you'll start taking the things I offer you, Rory? Do you want me to marry you so you'll legally own half of what's mine?'' he says, completely outraged.

My heart starts beating wildly in my chest at just hearing the word marriage coming from his lips, but what he said ... I shake my head at him and lean off the door frame. ''If that's the only reason you wish to marry me, don't even bother.'' I grab my coat, my purse and put on shoes and go straight past him. ''We're going to be late,'' I call out when I'm already near the front door.

I wordlessly go out and down the stairs, barely hearing Braden after me over the anger and hurt that spread over my body. I wait for Braden beside the car, tapping my foot impatiently on the floor.

Braden comes out and unlocks his car, but when I try to open the door, he's faster and he's in front of me, opening the door. I pause and look at him – straight in the eyes and hold our gazes, trying to find something on his face – anything, any emotion or any answer I'm looking for. But I only find serious eyes with clenched jaw staring back at me.

I close my eyes briefly, breaking our stare and then sit in the car, staring straight forward.

Braden comes in the car and after we sit some minutes in nothing but silence, he finally starts the car and drives away.

During the drive, I stare out of the window the whole time and I'm still as much as I can be, not even moving my hand or leg the whole drive there. I sense Braden's eyes burning into my head a few times, but I don't give him the satisfaction of looking back at him. I only press my lips together and look at the boring scenery outside without seeing anything.

As Braden parks, I slip out of the car before he can take his car keys out and head straight for the bar.

Braden calls my name, but I don't stop. I don't even turn around.

He comes after me and grips my arms, forcing me to look at him. ''Rory –'' he starts, but I cut him off.

''I don't have time for this right now, Braden,'' I say fiercely and take his surprise to tug my arm out of his grip and go inside the bar in a foul mood I can't shake off the entire day.

It doesn't help that his words occupy all my thoughts and the more I think about what he said, the more I feel the distaste in my mouth. Does he think he'll solve this if he marries me? Does he think that I'll let him boss me around, then? And forcing me to accept the things from him in that way? Well, he has another thing coming!

I'm sure people in the bar notice that there's a big, stormy cloud over my head and I'm actually happy that no one seems interested enough in a conversation.

My bad mood even deepens when I notice that polished woman coming in the bar that came last week, searching for Braden. This time, she's carrying a child with her.

She looks straight at me and a devious smile falls upon her lips. I get uncomfortable at watching all that glory coming towards me. She's wearing pants today with black high heels and a coat that looks so expensive I'm sure I couldn't afford in my lifetime.