Dear Solange

This extra was available during the Drake Chronicles Scavenger Hunt...

Spoilers Ahead!

Best read after Blood Moon...

*

*

Dear Solange,

I know what it's like to be so filled with rage that you don't think there's room for anything else. It feels like you're choking on your own breath, all of the time.

And I know about the carrying the weight of a family name and legacy. When my dad was murdered, everything went hot and bleak, like a desert sky bleached by fire. My mother fell apart. She's still just a shadow in the house. The smell of her baking is the strongest thing about her now. It's all she does, at all hours of the day and night. Hunter's grandfather gained ten pounds this summer alone because she keeps sending him butter tarts.

I went in the other direction. She went for the sweet, I went for the sour. I'm sure Hunter's mentioned it, if not to you than to Lucy. They both think they're so subtle when then try to keep an eye on me, but they're more like bricks crashing through a window. Especially Lucy, but I don't need to tell you that. She misses you too. But I probably don't need to tell you that either.

I will tell you that I thought revenge and the cold steady burn of anger would be easier to carry than the grief. But grief will wash away, if you don't hold onto it too tightly. Revenge is a flame, a hot coal in your chest and eventually it burns you before you have a chance to drop it. I didn't care. Maybe you don't either.

I don't know what you're thinking. I don't even know where you are. I only know that watching you walk away from me that night on my front porch was the hardest thing I've ever had to do. It was harder even than carrying a deer heart into Lady Natasha's court and pretending it was yours.

You're stronger than this. You're stronger than everyone gives you credit for. You have to find your way back. Don't let the hunger control you. And for God's sake don't let Constantine control you either. I really hate that guy. If I thought he was good enough for you, I'd leave Violet Hill forever. But he's poison. So I won't go until I know you're safe.

You don't have to come home for me, Solange.

Just come home.

Kieran

Copyright 2012 Alyxandra Harvey