Chapter Two

"Hate the sin, love the sinner." - Mahátma Gándhí

Dedicated to a writer, whose stories touched my heart.

"Excuse me... What?!" whispered Margaret.

"I know, it has to be a shock for you but don't worry about your job! I talked with Christopher about you and I highly recommended him to keep you in this place. He also agreed on keeping all actual employees. Don't be afraid," Richard tried to make her calmer.

She wasn't able to say anything. She just stared at him. How could he have done that to her?

"C'mon, Margie! Say something! I feel so bad now," begged her.

"No, Richard, you don't need to feel bad. It's not my gallery, I don't have any rights here and my words mean nothing in this case. I'll open the vernissage and then leave." Richard could hear a determination in her voice. He could even see it in his face when she looked in his eyes.

"You can't do that, Margie! The gallery needs you!" Richard tried to convince her but it seemed like a lost case. Margaret just negatively shacked her head.

"I'm not going to change my mind. This gallery means nothing without you! You're the main person! If you leave, I'll leave too."

"Nonsense! I talked with Chris and everything is done!"

Margaret gasped. If it was the right Christopher, who she has known from her high school's days, he would remember her. He pranked her and humiliated her more than three years. And not even that...

"You talked about me?"

"Yeah and we're on the same page because we both agreed on the fact that you're indispensable. You're a great manager, everybody knows it! You love your job! Give Chris a chance, Margie! I know about your attitude to men but please, for the gallery's sake and mine too, try to cooperate with Chris. When we talked last time, he wanted to meet you. He has been watching your job since your first vernissage. However he had no chance to catch up with you - until now."

Margaret had no idea what to think. She was pretty sure that when they will meet, he will recognize her, recall all the memories from their past and the hell will begin. She had to find a new job.

"Alright, Richard, if you wish," gave up, but not really. Just for Richard.

"Margie, you know I love you! Not love you, I admire you!"

"Don't be silly, Richard!" On her face was no emotion but Richard knew she loved these endearments.

"Alright," looked at his watch, "we're perfectly on time. You'll be able to change your clothes."

"What? Why should I change my clothes?" wondered Margaret. She started to have a bad feeling that Richard had some hidden agenda.

"Oh, didn't I tell you that you're going to a restaurant with Chris tonight? You have to get closer to each other. You're going to be colleagues!" said sweetly and looked so innocent.

"I'm not going anywhere!" refused. "I have plenty of work, I have to find a catering company - Esmé Raymond's kitchen burnt out. Before the vernissage are always tons of work..." Margaret was trying to find a reason to not go there.

"Craps, normal craps. The gallery is full of employees, they can do it. You'll go home to change and do some make-up. Well, I meant all the creepy things, which women do before dinners. I reserved a table in Crafts - be there around seven."

"Richard, why do you play a matchmaker? You really think that I would jump into a bed with a new owner? Are you crazy?!" Margie started to be angry. Richard tried to organize her private life but the dates just ended that one of them - majorly the man - ran away. Judging by the previous months, which he forgot on her in, she thought he stopped trying... Unfortunately not.