Chapter 10: Settle Down

Start from the beginning

Tobias' affection for Andrea is a very paternal one. He may not want to show it in a very obvious manner but it still shows how he is pulling all sorts of threads just so he can make sure that my family is safe. Since he hasn't really gotten the chance to get close to Matt, they had little to no contact but I'm pretty sure Matt will warm up to him in no time.

"Max, love! Breakfast is ready!" I heard Andrea call for me and I almost hurriedly left the security room, excited to eat their product for this morning. Going down the stairs, I saw little Matt put table mats and I immediately assist him and my beautiful wife started assorting the utensils and served the food they had cooked.

We mutter a quick thanksgiving prayer and I grabbed Matt's plate and when he said, "Enough!", I stopped putting food on his plate and put my own serving with my plate and had a spoonful of food with Matt looking at me, seeking for my opinion and approval, of course.

"This is delizioso, Matt. Do you have an idea what that means?" I asked Matt even if there's about 90% chance he would know the translation of the word in English.

"Delicious, Max!" Matt smiled and I mirrored it but he suddenly looked at Andrea and slightly lost the sweet smile on his face but Andrea just smiled him as if encouraging him to do something.

"G-grazie, papà." Matt shyly said and I choked on my coffee, causing me to splutter all over our table which caused my wife and son to laugh at the spectacle.

"Oh, Matt. Give your papà a hug!" I said and beckoned him to hug me with us meeting halfway. I guess I was too excited to actually wait for him while seated on my chair.

"Mamma teached that to me." Matt toothily grinned at Andrea and her eyes started to get watery with tears.

"Taught, Matt, not teached." Andrea corrected patatino but he just smirked. I can already see our similarities and the trail of broken hearts this kid would leave in his wake.

Andrea joined us again for a hug and so far, I was having a good morning albeit the bitter news I received earlier.

"This is the first time he called you papà and it's his first time to acknowledge me as mamma. Oh God, I can't describe this feeling." Andrea whispered and I had to nod, agreeing with her. With Matt acknowledging us as his parents, law and blood be damned but to our eyes and his eyes, he is our son and we are his parents.

"After being able to cook with you, I'm sure your mamma would like to teach you how she bakes her infamous cookies!"

                                 After putting away the dishes and flipping different channels on the television, I can almost hear Andrea sigh because we seem to be having a hard time actually finding a decent channel with a child-friendly show.

"Baby, come on, try looking for something up in Netflix." I chuckled with Andrea's struggle and when she realized this she slapped her forehead.

"Stupid baby brain!" Andrea said with annoyance, much to her chagrin. I just laughed at her statement and I felt Matt getting uneasy beside me.

"What's wrong, patatino?" I questioned him and he sheepishly looked up at me and smiled.

"I'm just not used to sitting on the couch, papà. When I was in the orphanage during tv time, I always sit in front of the couch."

"Is that a habit?" Andrea ever so sweetly asked, probably not being able to witness the so-called tv time.

"No, mamma. I had to give it to the other children so they can sit comfortably and watch." Matt said with a blush, probably shy that he had to say it.