Chapter 15 | Forest Guardian

Start from the beginning

Unexpectedly, feet appeared under the box the bush is in and it starts running away. Both of you are too surprised to sprint after it, but soon it trips over its own feet and a man reveals himself.

"You were trapped in this box for 20 years?" you repeat.

"That's really stupid."

"What did you say?!" Gaimon, the island resident, yells at Luffy.

Gaimon told you about the unfortunate events that took place on this island, leading him to get stuck in the box. He's been protecting the treasure on top of the hill for 20 years now.

"That's a lot of determination you have," you say. You take out your guns from your belt. "Could you perhaps give me some of your gunpowder? Mine ran out."

"Sure." Gaimon glances at your guns and freezes. "This gun!" he screams and points at your golden gun. "I remember this gun!"

Your eyes widen. "What do you know? Have you seen me before? Do you know anything about my past?" You bombard him with questions.

"Wait, wait. I only remember seeing a picture of it. It was 25 years ago, exactly two years before Gold Roger conquered the Grand Line and became Pirate King–"

"Gold Roger?!" He catches Luffy's attention. 

You gesture him to carry on.

"Yes, it was at that time. A strange wanted poster with only a picture of the golden gun was going around. Not many pirates paid attention to it, but the true treasure hunters knew. Although we only had a picture of the gun as a clue, rumours said the owner was just a 14-year-old girl. The sum of the bounty was huge, it was easy cash!"

Disappointed, you sprawl yourself on the ground. "Nothing to do with me then."

"Hmm, you're right. That girl would've aged a lot by now," Gaimon responds. "But I'm sure it was this exact gun..."

"It was over 20 years ago, you probably don't remember it correctly."

"No, my eyes are never wrong! I remember it as clearly as the treasure I saw on top of the hill!"

Luffy walks over to you and reaches his hand out. You take it and he lifts you off the ground. "Old bush man, how about we help you get your treasure?"

You gulp at the sight of the rocky hill. It is much higher than you thought. You place your fingers into one of the notches and try to pull yourself upwards, but the moment your feet start to slip, you push yourself away from the wall and land on the ground. Sweat drops start appearing on your forehead as you support your arms on your knees and pant.

What is wrong with me?

You feel the warm touch of a palm on your shoulder and you turn to see Luffy next to you. "You okay?" he asks. You straighten yourself up and nod. "You have to go up. I can't climb it."

"Sure!" He stretches one arm upwards, clings onto the edge of the hill and launches himself up into the air. Gaimon gasps at the sight and you just watch him disappear on the top. After a while you see him holding a chest and presenting it to you. Gaimon cheers and asks him to drop the treasure chests, but Luffy refuses to do so.

Huh?

"What's wrong? Can't you drop it?" you ask him.

"I don't wanna do that!" he replies.

You look at him and then at Gaimon confused. His expression darkens. "Don't worry, I'll go get your treasure if he doesn't drop it." You walk up to hill and gulp again when faced by the steep surface.

"Forget about it!" Gaimon suddenly shouts. "Straw-hat kid... you..." His eyes start tearing up. "You are a good person!"

Your hand slides down the stone wall and you quietly listen to Gaimon's thoughts. He always had his doubts about the treasure chests being empty, but continued to have hope and protected the island. Luffy confirms his thought as he starts sobbing.

A part of his story stirred up feelings inside you. You clench your fist and feel like punching this stone wall in front of you. A faint sound of thunder could be heard as the clouds around the island darken abnormally. You couldn't quite comprehend the sudden outburst of emotions.

Is this anger? Is this sadness? Why am I feeling this way?

Suddenly Luffy starts laughing. "Don't be disappointed, old man! You meeting us after these 20 years is a good thing too! Cause if it had been 30 years, you might've already been dead."

His laughter and encouragement made your negative feelings fade away. You look down on your hand and on the marks your fingernails left. A sigh leaves your mouth and you mock yourself for worrying too much, for not behaving like you usually do. The gloomy clouds fade back into a pure shade of white.

Luffy proceeds on asking him if he wanted to join him on finding the great treasure One Piece, but Gaimon turns down the offer. He wants to continue being the forest's guardian because he sees the animals on this island as his companions.

"I'm sure you'll find One Piece and I'm sure you'll learn about your past, young girl!" Gaimon says as you wave back at him.

"That's right, we will do it! See ya!" Luffy shouts while looking back.

He turns to you and smiles. "Now let's go get some food!"