Hope

Hey JJ, Simon is worried about Josh, do you know if something is wrong?

"Josh, look," JJ said, handing his phone to Josh as they sat around in their living room.

"Can you tell him I just have a cold or something? They don't need to know," Josh paused, throwing JJ his phone, "yet."

A few minutes after JJ had typed a response, Josh's phone lit up.

I heard you had a cold, stay warm and... drink? eat? a lot of soup <3

Josh smiled at Simon's text, but the grin soon disappeared. Josh dialed a number on his phone.

"Rachel? I've changed my mind. I'll do it," Josh said, JJ gaping at what he said.

Rachel gasped, "I'll schedule an appointment. Josh, we're all proud."

Josh hung up without saying another word, leaving the room before JJ could say something, however, he ran into Ava.

"Did I hear what I think I heard?" she shouted, following Josh towards the door, "Are you really doing it?" Josh opened the door, stepping outside, "You're really getting ch-" Josh shut the door and walked away from the house, heading in the direction of the hill.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Josh sighed, overlooking the city. The sky was covered in clouds. The sad, light gray clouds that dimmed the world slightly, just enough to make you feel a bit down. They weren't the angry dark gray clouds that meant lightning striking near you house and wind ripping shingles off of your roof. No, not those clouds.

He looked down at his phone, glancing at a text from Rachel about having to be up early next weekend for the appointment, and one from Simon.

I went to your house to surprise you but you're gone :(

Josh smiled and started typing.

I'm up the hill above town

The three dots appeared.

I'm on my way :)

Josh grinned and locked his phone, laying back and watching the clouds.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A rustling at the entrance to the small clearing disturbed Josh's peace, and out from the underbrush emerged Simon, who was holding two cups of coffee.

"Hey! I got you something from that café we went to, it's sorta cold now, though," Simon said, taking a seat next to Josh and handing him a to-go cup.

"Thanks," Josh said, taking a sip of coffee, "Uh, Simon, there's something I've been meaning to tell you."

"Yeah? What is it?" Simon asked.

Oh no.

I should not have said that.

I should not be telling him.

This was a bad idea.

I'll let him find out another way.

I'll say something else.

"Uh, Simon," Josh stuttered, "I- I love you." Josh grabbed Simon's free hand.

"Josh, you shouldn't be so worried. I love you, too," Simon said, pulling Josh into a hug.

Josh let go of the breath he was holding in.

That went better than planned, and he still doesn't know.