Descending Into Darkness

After finishing her tea, Stevie placed her cup on the coffee table and sat back. She wasn't feeling any better. Kristen just sat back; she watched and waited.

Fifteen minutes had passed when Stevie felt a sharp pain in her lower abdomen. She cried out.
"Stevie?" Kristen asked in a concerned voice.
Stevie breathed through the pain. "I...think I'm going into labor. But...I can't be! It's too early for him. I'm not due for another three weeks!"
"Why don't go lie down for a bit. Maybe you just need to rest. If you don't mind, I can sit by the pool and read a book that I was reading on the plane. I'll check on you in a bit."
Stevie nodded and made her way upstairs.

Kristen walked quietly outside to the car she rented. She grabbed a bag filled with medical supplies and all were sterile and ready to use.
She came back inside and locked the door.

She found Christine's room and closed the door then placed a chair under the door knob. She didn't know when the sleeping pills would wear off so she made sure that if Christine woke up, she wouldn't be able to open the door so easily.

Stevie managed to fall asleep for a few hours but when she woke up, the pain had gotten worse.
She sat up on her bed and clutched her stomach. "Chris...tine! Chris!" Stevie cried out thinking that maybe Christine was awake by now. Nothing; Christine didn't come.

She stood up as the pain began to ease up again. She grew more concerned when she noticed her stomach was much lower now. She was halfway to her bedroom door when Kristen came through it.
"I heard you calling. Christine left to the store, she'll be back soon. I thought you may be thirsty so I brought you a glass of water."
Stevie took the glass in her hand and took a sip then realized how thirsty she was. She drank the whole thing.
She placed the glass down on her nightstand and sat back down on her bed.
"Kristen, not to sound rude or anything but, as soon as Christine gets back, you should leave. Go stay at a hotel." Stevie said trying her best to be polite.
Kristen smiled. "Of course; she just left so while we wait I'll call around and find a hotel to stay in. May I use your phone?"
"Of course." Stevie replied.
Kristen walked out of the bedroom and pretended to use the phone in the kitchen.

Stevie stood up again and went into the bathroom; she used the restroom then as she washed her hands she felt and heard a popping sound. Her eyes grew wide as she felt warm liquid running down her leggings and onto the floor.
Stevie looked down and saw the puddle of water on the floor. She gulped and she began to panic. Just then the sharp pain came back; if the pain was worse before now it felt a hundred times worse. Stevie doubled over and fell to her knees; tears ran down her cheeks. There was no question now, she was having contractions. She breathed through the pain as best she could. Stevie knew she had to get to a hospital and couldn't wait for Christine to get back. She stood up supporting herself on the bathroom sink.
She walked back into her bedroom and went to the other side of the bed where she kept her house phone. When she reached for it she discovered that it wasn't in the receiver.

Kristen came back into the room and said. "I found a hotel to stay in. I hope Christine comes back soon. Check in time is in thirty minutes."
"Kristen...I need you...to call an ambulance. My water just broke." Stevie said breathlessly. "Oh god! Ah!" She doubled over again. "I don't...understand...why this is happening so fast!"
Kristen walked over to Stevie and placed an arm around her to help her up. "Why don't we just try to calm down; have you taken an Lamaze class?"
Stevie nodded her head.
"Well, then why don't you use what you've learned and lay down for a bit." Kristen said calmly.
"I need to change first." Stevie said; she walked into her closet and changed into clean and dry leggings.
She walked back into her bedroom and sat on the end of her bed. She began to keep an eye on the clock.
Thirty minutes later, she laid on her bed curled in a ball, her hands on her belly. Her contractions were ten minutes apart.
"Kristen?" Stevie said.
"Yes?" Kristen replied.
"Has Christine come back?" She asked.
"No she hasn't."
Stevie cried out in pain again as another contraction ripped through her abdomen. Sweat was forming on her forehead.
"Kristen...please...call an...ambulance. I...need...to get...to a hospital now!" Stevie said in between breaths. Stevie looked over at Kristen and fear washed over her; the look that Kristen had on her face was nothing that Stevie had seen before; Kristen's face looked malicious.
Kristen smiled sweetly and said. "I'll go call now. I'll be right back!" She turned around and walked out the bedroom door and did the same as she had done to Christine's door; placing a chair so Stevie couldn't get out.