‘Bye’

Afterwards, Zayn punched in the numbers to Ariella’s mobile and smiled when she picked up almost immediately.

‘Hello?’

‘Babe. Where are you?’ he asked, his tone hard and demanding.

‘Zayn, what’s gotten into you?’ she asked, clearly sensing the change from over the phone.

‘Answer the question. Where. Are. You?’

‘Eh I’m in the kitchen right now…why?’

‘Go up to your room’

‘But-‘

‘Now.’

Zayn’s eyes zoned onto her bedroom window and he could distinctly make out the outline of her walking in.

He knew she had found it when she gasped on the phone and started squealing in delight. His heart leapt and his stomach knotted.

‘Oh my gosh Zayn this is incredible! Thank you!’ she gushed her voice holding a breathless quality.

‘I’ll pick you up at 8, beautiful’ he said and promptly hung up the phone. All of his nerves flew out the window when she opened her curtains and gave him the most drop dead gorgeous smile. Ever. He felt it all the way down to his toes and a jolt of lust ran through him. Ignoring the need to run upstairs and make her scream with pleasure, he started driving over  to Harry’s.

He kept the radio on in the background and smiled when ‘What Makes You Beautiful’ came on Radio 1. Pulling up outside the apartment that Harry and Louis shared, he bounded outside and took out the key. Unlocking the door, he found Louis on the sofa with his phone in hand and no Harry.

‘Hey man, where’s Harry?’ Zayn said and sank onto the sofa opposite Louis.

‘Y’know I have absolutely no idea. I think he ran to the shops about half an hour ago. How’s things with you and Ariella then? Have you…’ he paused to wiggle his eyebrows suggestively.

Zayn just laughed and felt his face get a little warm. ‘Haha, not yet. But things are going well. I’m really happy’

‘That’s good, or at least that’s what I told the interviewer last night’ Louis said and got up to make some tea.

‘Want some?’

‘Nah, I’m alright. Wait, who was the interviewer?’ Zayn asked, perplexed since usually they were interviewed as a group or in pairs. Never usually separate.

‘I dunno man, this girl came up to me on the streets with a camera guy. They said they wanted to ask some questions about your relationship so I figured they were like paparazzi or something. Look I’m sorry if you wanted to keep things private. All I said was that you’re in a really good place right now.’

Zayn relaxed and asked if they had said anything else.

‘Not really, just some stuff about if you were still going strong and if you had broken up yet. Weird, I don’t know where they got that idea from. Unless…?’

‘No way. Not splitting any time soon’ Zayn said, his voice calm but the pissed off expression on his face spoke volumes.

A click and shuffle at the door, alerted the boys that clearly Harry was back.

‘Ah Harold, how nice of you to finally join us. What the bloody hell took so long?’Louis asked but his smile was welcoming and he looked genuinely glad that his friend was back.

‘Sorry, kinda ran into Caroline’ Harry said with a cheeky smile on his face, referring to his ex Caroline Flack. In his hands was a heavy looking carrier bag.

Zayn laughed knowing exactly what Harry was thinking. ‘Let me guess, you’re gonna take her out to dinner or some crap’

‘Hey, you ruined my surprise!’ Harry said, dropping the carrier bag he was holding and huffing dramatically.

‘Harry, how are you keeping that shit dangling? It’s been ageees’ Louis pointed out, pouring a steaming mug of Earl Grey tea.

Ignoring this, Harry went over and turned on the TV, flicking through channels.

‘Okaa-aay. Note to self : Touchy subject’ Louis said and Harry couldn’t resist looking up and grinning.

‘That it is, my friend’

Zayn opted to change the subject and manoeuvred to talk about tonight.

‘Did you guys get the text I sent out? Can you come tonight?’

Louis nodded enthusiastically, whilst sipping his tea and Harry had a quizzical

look on his face. ‘What text?’

‘Check your phone, idiot’

A moment later, Harry stood up and shouted Hell yeah! to the ceiling. Evidently he was happy, Zayn thought.

‘Perfect, this is just what I need’ Harry said.

‘Everyone else is coming too, right?’ Louis asked.

‘Yeah, and I’m bringing Ariella as well.’

This elicited a shout from Harry.

‘Woo! Yes, she’s so hot!’

Zayn felt his hands fist and his breathing became ragged and low. A little growl escaped his lips and he muttered ‘Back the fuck off, Styles. She’s mine.’  His voice low and menacing.

‘Chill out, I was obviously joking’ Harry said shifting farther away, his palms flat and facing Zayn in a peace offering.

‘Boys, calm down. We have an interview with Heat magazine in like,’ Louis paused to check his watch. ‘Crap we should be there right now.’

The three of them raced outside the building like maniacs.

‘My car’ Louis called and they sped over to the studio.