Chapter Five

Being twenty, Gabe was finished with high school but didnt even consider starting college down in his hometown. He had a schollarship where he moved to, and it was waiting for him when he got back there. 

And today, he was alone in his own house. His mother and father were working, and his younger siblings were in school. He had called Teddy's house, but they were both going to be in school today. Then, he called P.J.'s house. They were going to be in school also, but he offered to babysit Georgie. He smiled when his older brother said yes. 

***

"Are you sure you can do this?"

"P.J., do you not trust me?"

"Of course I do Gabe, I wanted to know for sure you want too."

"I do." he answered as he watched P.J. kiss his daughter's head. "You be good for Uncle Gabe, okay princess?" he asked her. She nodded her head yes with a smile on her face. Carefully, Gabe took her from him and held her on his hip.

Handing over a diaper bag, P.J. spoke, "Everything you need is in there, even a schedule on how and when to do it." 

Gabe nodded his head. "I know what to do."

"Either Skylar or me will be here this afternoon to get her."

"Have a good day."

"You too."

And with that, Gabe shut the door and placed the diaper bag on the couch and continued to hold Georgie on his hip. She smiled at him. "You ready to have fun with Uncle Gabe?" he questioned to the tiny two year old. She started at him with her big eyes. "I take that as a yes." he spoke, kissed her head. 

Gabe sat on the couch with her in his lap, she leaned back on his chest. It warmed Gabe's heart and made him smile. "T.B.?" Georgie question to her uncle. "What do you want to watch, little one?" he asked her, grabbing the remote. "Barnwey." she spoke, still speaking in a baby voice. "Barney it is." and with that, he flipped channels to find it. As he did, she layed their peacefully and quietly watching it. Giggling at some parts, and clapping at others.

****

Georgie sat on the kitchen counter as Gabe had the fridge open. She looked confused towards her uncle. As he closed the fridge, nothing revealed to be in his hand. "Maybe P.J. left something in your diaper bag." he spoke, mainly to himself. Picking it up from the bar stool, he placed it on the counter. Searching through it, he found several things. Diapers, clothes, passies, sippy cups. "Your daddy packs so much little one." 

"There we go." he finally said after a long silence. He pulled from the diaper bag something in a little food container. Georgie smiled. Gabe popped the lid off and placed it in the microwave for a few seconds. As it finished he took Georige back onto his hip and carried her over to the table. After she was in her highchair, he placed the small bowl on it. 

Watching her eat, Gabe had several things on his mind. His family still wondered why he left, and he was still trying to find the right time to tell them. But, Georgie made him wonder harder. 

******

Gabe rubbed his niece's back as she lay asleep next to him on the couch. She slept so peacefully next to him. It made a huge smile appear on his face. He was an uncle of one, almost two. His world was slowly coming back together. He could only wonder how everything in his family would have went if he hadn't left. He thought of it occasionally but wouldn't go into details now.

He had a good day. Babysitting Georgie wasn't as hard as he thought it was going to be. He had an easy day just relaxing with her. He was already in love even after meeting her an only short time ago.