"We've got guests."

I raised an eyebrow in curiosity. "Who?"

"I didn't invite them over," he absolved blame, continued on to say. "It's the man who left you on Read for a month after telling you to kill yourself and his whore of the month. Shit. I mean, flavour of the month. And our best pal, Trevor."

"Get rid of them."

"They're staying for dinner."

"I'll eat out."

"Why? Show them that you don't care, don't allow them to win and force you out of your own home."

"The thing is, buddy," I put a hand on his shoulder. "I am bitter and I'm still sour as hell over that shitty break-up. I don't want to be in the same room as that man. Fuck him." I ended on an angry tone and forced a smile. "Shit. My blood pressure is already rushing up. I don't need him to mess up my juju."

"'Juju'? What the fuck is that?"

"Hell if I know. Something about energy, I think? I picked it up on some late night TV show about yoga and this meditating, white guru lady with a turban. I think she was trying to sell me something with her hypnotising eyes."

"D'you mean aura?"

"Maybe. Who the hell cares? Anyway. I'm done with mark four. Today's the last day. I'll come back with a burger and fries and I'll burn the work for him. Get rid of it by midnight and tomorrow we can head out. Sound like a plan?"

He nodded. "I'll let Trevor know, get him waiting on the side-lines ready to clean up."

"Shay." The devil appeared in the doorway of the hallway, in a navy-blue suit with an open-collared white shirt. His beard was trimmed and his black eyes were fixed on me. His expression was open, friendly. "Hi."

My smile was fake, and I glanced his way, said abruptly, "Hi," and looked away to Irvin, dismissing Cole with a cold shoulder. "I'm going to head out. Shall I pick anything up for you?"

Cole spoke once more, insisting on my attention. "Where are you going?" Curiosity. Small talk.

"Out."

"Why don't you join us for dinner? Irvin's cooking lamb tagine and we've brought wine. And Trevor as entertainment."

"I have a busy schedule I can't break."

"I'm sure you can fit a small dinner in," he glanced down at his wrist where he played with a gold watch and then met my gaze with an amused, sardonic glint. "You don't need to be afraid of me, sweetheart."

"Don't rise to–" Irvin was interrupted by Cole.

"Your food is burning. Go check on it. Now, Irvin." Cole added testily, irate. He closed the kitchen door and flashed a smile in my direction. "Why are you here, Shay?"

"This is my home." I kept civil even as my tongue itched to lash out at him and strike him down so hard he'd never stand up again.

"Your home is with your family. Not with Irvin."

"Irvin is my family. You don't need to get jealous, Cole, baby, we can share him. I know how you're like with your toys, you tug too hard and the legs break. We can meet in the middle, he's yours after midnight. How does that sound?"

He scoffed softly, quirked his lips up humourlessly. "That's funny."

"Isn't it just? Almost as funny as you going ghost when I was shot. How's your nightclub, by the way? Nice sign."