prolouge

• Dedicated to Charmaine Crasto

Rosel Fernandes was a pretty blond, and fierce woman of a kind, even though in her late 20s, she had earned her stripes in the mass media arena quite quickly, fame and respect new no bonds, she was the host of the high rated news show ‘frank talk’ of the tribunal news network, a giant, in the news arena. The director- an old grumpy man with a puckered face and crooked nose called out “to your places people, we are on air in 3 2 1.....” and signaled with his heavy hand for the broadcast to begin, the light on the camera flashed “good evening…” rosel began “….welcome to the TNN, I’mRosel fernandes bringing you ‘frank talk’…” she paused-a deliberate one and continued reading the main leads that scrolled on the TelePrompTer. “ today in the western suburbs of the state yet another gruesome murder  has been reporter earlier this evening to the spree of the ‘antichrist’, the death toll rising to 4, the victim appears to bear a singular assault on the lower part of the head, causing instant fracture of the skull as observed in the other vics, however no other traces of any nature have surfaced as evidence, other than a ‘signature’ broken cross.

With no connection between the Vics or a clear motive, the trail of the ‘antichrist’ grows cold, the growing in-capacity of the NWI has left the population of St. john in eminent fear of a serial killer that seem to see no end in his misgivings, whether he’ll be brought to book, is for the future to discern….and here is a live feed…” the rest of the broadcast went on smoothly. With it over she got the necessary preliminaries out of the way she headed towards the employee parking lot. Clutching her pouch, jabbing her hand in her pocket, she started searching for her key, the night was dark and listless.

 The parking lot lights flicked and went off in a distant “damn these lights, where the heck are my keys….” She cursed. There was a hint of a cold drizzle drawing a chill; fishing out the keys from her right jacket pocket she thrust them into place…the winds screamed and the night grew cold and cruel.

The following morning the city woke up to tabloids  full of reports of a body of a blond female, found 3 blocks from the TNN headquarters by the district patrol. There was a severed head where blood had dried and thickened around the place, she lay in a grey over coat and nothing more in the name of modesty covered her naked frame.  Pieces of the skull had scattered with the heavy impact, in the area…she lay with her eyes out of its sockets, or what was left of it. And in a bit of irony a broken cross had made its place in one of her lifeless bloody palms…