They exchanged minimal greetings with Draco and Snape before Lucius turned directly to the matter at hand.

"I must admit I was surprised to get your owl, Draco. To what do we owe this pleasure?"

"You know that the Aurors have figured out what's going on with Potter, with the bond," Draco said, getting right to the point but unable to meet his father's eyes.

"Yes."

"They don't have all the proof they need yet, about who did it and how, but they will soon."

"And?"

"Father... aren't you worried? You could be arrested for being involved in this."

"I would like to see them try. Nothing ties me to McKay or Colchis. I made every effort to have Healer Esposito there for your unbonding."

After making her sick, no doubt, Snape thought to himself.

"You could be arrested," Draco said, his voice low. "Again."

"I'm not particularly worried."

"Why not?"

"Because after the Dark Lord has triumphed, it won't matter any more."

Draco nodded. "I've been asked to be near Potter as much as possible, until they figure out some way to help him. What should I do?"

Lucius shrugged. "Go along with it. It won't make much difference."

Draco nodded and took a deep breath before carefully broaching the next topic. "Just how close are we to the Dark Lord's victory, Father?"

Lucius smiled. "As soon as Potter dies, the Dark Lord will take over."

There was a silence. "That's... it? That's the big plan?" Draco asked slowly. "Killing Harry Potter? That's what's so important?"

"It-"

"That's all the Dark Lord is waiting for, for one person to die - one boy to die?" Draco finally met Lucius' eyes, an incredulous expression on his face.

Lucius raised an eyebrow, but nodded calmly.

"And what's he going to do after that? Is he going to assume control of the Ministry of Magic? Storm Hogwarts? He still has to get past Dumbledore, you know. Not to mention Aurors, and all sorts of other people. What's going to happen after that?" Draco's agitation was rising, and it seemed he was starting to forget his fear of his father for a moment.

A fact that was not lost on Lucius. His eyes narrowed and his tone, when he spoke, was several degrees colder than before. "Draco, this is not truly any of your business. There is a fine line between being understandably interested in these events and meddling where you are not welcome. You have crossed it."

Draco swallowed hard, dropped his eyes to the floor. He took a deep breath, and then another, visibly gathering his courage for what he was about to say next.

"Father. Is there... is there any way to make this... not depend on Potter dying?"

An astonished stillness settled into the room.

"I beg your pardon?" Lucius finally said, his voice very quiet. Draco paled noticeably, but stood firm.

"I... I'm sure there are a lot of detailed plans in place, to take over offices, take control of powerful magical items, all of that. I just... is it absolutely necessary to have all of it depend on Harry's death?"

"It's Harry now, is it?" Lucius said mildly, and Draco's face coloured.

"I... yes." He swallowed nervously. "He - I... you know my loyalty is with our family. That's my first priority. Always," he said firmly. "But. He's... I-I care about him." He gulped and spoke rapidly. "I didn't mean to - I know I failed you, I should've stayed away from him after we were unbonded, and, and I'm not putting him above our family or the Dark Lord or, or anything like that, but, but-" he took a deep breath, forcing himself to slow down. "I don't want to see him die. He doesn't have that much power; he's nothing special. Our side is strong, we can do what needs to be done without killing him."