"You're going to see your father?" Ron asked sceptically. "After he disowned you in public like that?"

"What would you suggest, Weasley?" Draco asked.

"I wouldn't go back to him, that's for sure. If my parents ever did anything like that to me, I'd... I'd-"

"You'd what? Run to one of your dozens of brothers?" he sneered. "Or one of your hundreds of other freckled relatives, or some do-gooder friend of Dumbledore's? I've nowhere else to go," he said bitterly. "There's no relatives that'll take me in, and any family friends will just do whatever my father says."

"So stand on your own," Hermione said brusquely. "Get away from your bloody family."

"And do what, exactly? Blood Magic issues aside, I haven't got a Sickle to my name. I don't even have a name."

"Why, what's your father going to do if you use the family name?" Harry said angrily. "Disown you again?"

Draco rolled his eyes in irritation as Zabini and Pansy made impatient faces.

"He wouldn't have to," Ron said heavily. "Sometimes that's part of a wizarding Disinheritance. He really doesn't have a last name." Hermione and Harry looked at him blankly. "Give it a try. Try to call him anything but Draco; you can't."

Hermione's mouth worked for a moment and she looked horrified.

"Your father's a sick fuck, Draco," Ron said.

"For once I'm not arguing."

"He won't forgive you."

"You're an expert on my father, then?" Draco said coldly.

"He doesn't have to be," Zabini said. "I told you this would happen. I told you-"

"Yes, thanks, you told me so. You can go now. You said you'd not support me if my father found out, well he's found out, now kindly piss off."

"Oh, don't worry, I will-"

"Blaise, shut up," Pansy interrupted him. "The last thing he needs is your tender concern right now, idiot that he is." She turned to Draco. "D'you think your mother'll disown you too?"

Draco shrugged. "I haven't a clue. She... I don't know. She doesn't like to defy Father."

"Well, maybe she'll at least give you your Black inheritance, let you use her last name."

"And if not, why don't you use Potter's," Zabini said scornfully. "He doesn't appear to be doing anything useful with it."

Draco opened his mouth for a cutting retort, then glanced at Hermione as she made a small choking sound and bit her lip. His brow furrowed slightly, then abruptly a smile quirked the corner of his mouth. Hermione made a strangled sound, covering her mouth, and then all of a sudden Draco burst out laughing, and Hermione joined in.

"What?" Pansy asked, annoyed.

"Draco Potter?" Draco choked out, and then Harry was joining in, not really getting what was so funny about it other than the sight of Draco and Hermione sharing a laugh was too ridiculous for words.

"God, can you picture your father's face-" Pansy began, collapsing into giggles as the rest of them broke down too.

Pomfrey poked her face around the corner at the noise, rather bewildered by the sight of all of them holding their sides, but soon ducked back into her office.

"What Blood Magic issues?" Harry asked curiously, once they had settled somewhat, hoping he wasn't showing extreme ignorance of wizarding traditions yet again.