5

While we waited for the train to actually leave, the three of us spent the time talking. It was nice, getting to know Nate a little bit. I was starting to get used to the lurches whenever a new group needed to get onboard. Now I'm just staring off into space. Well, the wall. Suddenly I remember to call my Mom to let her know how I'm doing. I take my phone out of my bag, but when I unlock it I see that it says "no service."

No service? How is that even possible? The only place that doesn't have service is the moon!

"Good morning chosen, how are we feeling today?" A man's voice comes over a speaker. I tuck my phone away, still confused and astounded over how it's possible that I don't have service. It must be a glitch in my phone. I'll use Jen's to call Mom.

Cheers erupt from everyone in answer to the question that the man asked. I join in while reaching into Jen's pocket to get her phone.

"Hey!" She looks at me funny.

"Mine's dead," I whisper.

She nods and then listens to the man over the speaker as he begins to talk again. "Glad to hear! We're going to be leaving now, so get ready for the best train ride you'll ever have!" Right on cue, the train starts up again, and this time it doesn't stop to let more people on.

Jen programmed her phone to open for me, so after a quick iris scan it unlocks.

No service.

My stomach feels funny as I give her back the phone. I don't understand why it's not working. After running through reasons in my mind, I come up with one that makes sense. Maybe they don't work on the train so they don't interfere with any signals or anything like that. The thought reassures me, and I go back to talking with Nate and Jennifer.

* * * * *

I'm not sure what time it is, but it must be around lunchtime, because I am hungry. I'm glad the train is going slower that usual, the views are beautiful. I could stare out the window for hours without getting bored. I notice now that the beautiful scenery is slowly fading into a wasteland. We must be in either Torren or Chrystali. Everything is so desolate and wartorn... I've only ever seen pictures of this. The real thing is so much scarier to see. Just a little while ago this was all being destroyed. A few people gasp at what they see. Most stay silent, or just aren't paying attention. I don't know how you couldn't be watching intently. I feel like if I look carefully enough, I'll see a soldier still here fighting. Of course that's ridiculous, but it doesn't stop me from searching.

After about two hours the train comes to a complete stop. I don't know what province we're in now, but it's not one recently ravaged by war. Everything here looks beautiful. From one side of the train all I see is nature. Rolling hills covered in trees. From the other side, I see a train station. Its way longer than the one in Athens, but not as wide and definitely not as tall. The whole train seems to fit beside it, but I can't see far enough to know for sure.

"Alright Sixteens, time to eat," CeCe says.

Finally!

"YES!" Jen yells and jumps up. "Food!"

Almost everyone else has the same reaction, all lining up by CeCe waiting for her instruction. My stomach starts to growl embarrassingly loud. Thank goodness we're going to get food now.

"Follow me please, do not leave the group. If you're off exploring the station and miss supper, that's your loss. Understand?" She says it sternly but lovingly, as if she's already gotten attached to each and every one of us. We'll probably be getting attached to her as well if she's going to be the one in charge of us Sixteens.