Interlude 2

Tears rolled down Mrs. Townsend's cheeks, but she was smiling.

"Can I help you with the washing up Mrs. Townsend?" he asked

"No, you and Caroline have been most helpful."

He leant against the kitchen bench at a loss for things to say. He had to wait for Caroline to finish cleaning up.

"It was a lovely service, I've always wanted to go to my own funeral." He said awkwardly.

"Yes, it was nice to have a proper goodbye."

They stood quietly, listening to the gentle clink of the washing up.

"Dr. James, what you did today, I just can't tell you how much myself and John appreciate it. Of course I miss him terribly already, isn't that silly? It's only been a few hours. I feel comforted knowing that this is what he wanted, and he was in the capable hands of you and your wife. The MS had really started to take hold recently, I'm glad he didn't have to live in pain."

"Mrs. Townsend, it was the least I could do, your husband was a great inspiration to me, fulfilling his last wish was an honour."

"I just wonder, if I were ever diagnosed with something like that, I think I would like to go quickly and with dignity like John... Would you mind if I kept a hold of your telephone number, just in case?"

He was a little taken aback. "Not at all Mrs. Townsend."

"God willing, I'll never have to use it."