Phone call

Sugawara Koshi was on his lunch break, in the small garden full of small maple trees and bamboo patches, sipping a hot coffee while he watched the children play. He worked at as a teacher now, teaching subjects from Japanese to House Economics at a rural middle school. 'Super sensei' is what the kids called him, and every time he heard that name he chuckled with delight. 

He felt his phone vibrating wildly in his pocket and hurried to pull it out so the ring tone wouldn't catch the attention of all the children nearby. He read the caller ID: Hinata - and covered his ears, just as a precautionary measure.

"Hello?"

"SUGAWARAAA SENPAIIIIII!!!" The extraordinarily high pitched voice from the other end of the line threatened to burst Suga's eardrums - wincing and cursing quietly under his breath, he held the phone well away from his ears.

"Hi - Hinata? Is something wrong?"

"I FUCKED UP SENPAI I FUCKED UP SO BAD SENPAIIIIII HELP MEEEEE!!!" Again, Hinata's voice burst from the phone, broadcasting his pitiful plee to the whole garden, despite the device not being on loudspeaker. Another teacher on duty eyed Sugawara with a disgusted look and he quickly moved to an area with less children around.

"Alright, alright, calm down Hinata. You don't have to scream at me, I can hear you perfectly fine."

Sugawara was trying his best not to sounds panicked but he really was genuinely concerned about the flame haired boy. It didn't take much to set him off, despite the fact that he was a fully grown adult, but today was the day he had decided to go talk to Kageyama... He just hoped something hadn't gone majorly wrong. "Is it about Kageyama kun?"

"Y-yeah! I called as soon as I left the building, just like you said. It was kinda awkward... And then I said something stupid that wasn't true and I fucked everything up and--"

"Right, tell me everything that happened - every single detail!" Suga could almost picture Hinata's little head bobbing up and down in compliance at the other end of the line, which made him smile slightly.

"And Hinata - please don't call me 'senpai'; we're not in high school any more."

"Yes, Suga sen-, I mean, Suga kun!"

Hinata proceeded to tell Sugawara everything from the minute he walked in: the small talk, the awkward questions, Kageyama's miserable face and of course... The kiss.

"Is that it?" Suga asked Hinata when the former spiker seemed a bit out of breath from talking so fast and so much.

"Pretty much. Sugawara kun I... I don't know what to do! I had my chance and I... Well, I screwed up." Suga could hear the sadness in Hinata's voice, could visualise the tears pricking his eyes at this very moment in time.

Sugawara pondered his words for a while. Although Hinata seemed pretty insistant that he didn't have a chance with Kageyama, Suga thought otherwise. He and Daichi had been through all sorts of ups and downs and they were still together - such a simple setback didn't mean the definite end of a relationship, or that it could never happen. And besides, while he certainly didn't look like it, Tobio was quite emotional - it was entirely possible he still harboured some sort of feelings towards Shouyou. The real issue was how to convince Hinata there was still hope...

"But he said he'd come to the Christmas lunch, right?"

"Well he didn't exactly say it... I just kind of put the note down on his desk..." Hinata voice sounded wobbly through the phone, as if he was on the verge of crying.

"He'll be there. There's still hope Hinata!" Sugawara spoke softly, in his most reassuring voice, the one he used to calm any teary students down.

"And if he doesn't come..?"

"He will. Trust me."

"But what if he doesn't?"

"I'll deal with him then. Don't worry about it, ok?"

"O-Ok."

"Are you okay now Hinata?"

"Yeah I guess..."

"Look, I've got to go teach history to the first years - I'll call you later, alright?"

"Oh-okay..."

"See you!"

"Bye Suga sen-- kun. And umm..."

"What is it?"

"Thank you. For everything."

Sugawara smiled warmly, a proud mum witnessing her child grownup.

"Anytime Hina!" With that, Suga hung up, stuffing his phone in his trouser pocket and racing to the other end of the school to his classroom where thirty impatient children already sat waiting for their teacher.

That Hinata... He may be 24 now, but he hasn't changed at all since high school... He's just as totally helpless as back then.

Not that I mind mothering him a bit longer...