Chapter 4 - Part I

Notes from the Author -- Chapter Four, as promised!  I've been super excited for the Chapter since I began writing this story so I hope you all love it as much as I do.  This section it's kind of intense as far as plot twists but I hope you like it! (:  I'm intested to know in everyone's favorite character so be sure to drop a comment below and let me know who and why. 

xoxo, J

-----------------------------------------------------

Time passed slowly in the confinements of Antoine's room.  Or rather, time seemed to blur together.  It had been days, so I was guessing, since I'd seen or heard from Lucca.  After what Dante had walked in on and the things he had said, I was sure Lucca would never want to speak to me again.  The thought of losing my only friend seemed a fate worse than death, though could I blame him for not returning to me?  Not only because of Dante's threats and fear or Antoine's return but because of what Dante had said.  He had explained to Lucca that I was only after him because of the vampire venom.  His theory made sense, but the more I thought about it, the more I wanted to prove Dante wrong.  In my mind, the venom worked on me like drinking too much wine.  Not changing a personality entirely but relaxing enough so that only few things mattered.  As a pondered the events, I became certain that it wasn't the venom - I truly cared for Lucca.  I was undeniably attracted to him and wanted nothing more than to prove my feelings.

I jumped with a start, as the door to the room flew open and in surprise, almost pricked myself with the needle I was threading with.  I spun around, heart racing.  "Lucca?" I thought.  Though my excitement turned to disappointment and came crashing in waves about me when I realized that it was my blood-thirsty keeper, Antoine, who walked through the door and not sweet, beautiful Lucca.  It was the first time I'd seen Antoine since before he left.  Since he'd drained me half of my blood and left me in his room, alone, within an inch of death.  A sly grin creeped onto his oh-so-perfect face as he crossed the threshold towards me.  I immediately went back to my sewing.  I was not about to give this pig the time of day.  Nothing more could happen to me.  He'd already drank my blood, and under the worst circumstances, my shunning him would send him into a fit of rage resulting in my death.  I had decided when I first discovered I was dwelling with vampyres that death would not be the worst thing that could happen to me.  So, as Antoine lounged on the bed, pleading for my attention.  I did not acknowledge his existence, refusing to look at him.  Though when he mentioned his brother, my heart sped up and my limbs started to shake ever so slightly, causing me to jab the needle into my finger by mistake.  I carried on as though nothing had happened but my mind was racing.  Was he hinting that he knew of what happened between Lucca and I while I was away?  Had Dante told him?  I wasn't about to question the matter but said dozens of silent prayers in my head as Antoine continued his mindless chatter.  Then he was gone, saying something about visiting Sonya.

When the door shut behind him I breathed a long sigh of relief and threw my needlework to the floor, sliding off the chair and collapsing into a pile onto the rug.  I pulled my knees up to my chin and let the tears flow.  Everything was wrong.  I was in a house full of crazed blood thirsty lunatics with anger management issues and the only one person I cared about probably hated me because of how I'd treated him.  Lost didn't even being to describe how I was feeling.  I let my tears roll, drowning my face and collar of my shirt.  A part of me wished they would just kill me and get it over with.  I hated the anticipation, never knowing when Antoine would get tired of me or when Dante might lose his temper.

The door to the room flew open again, but this time I didn't jump.  I didn't expect it to be long before Antoine returned to baby sit his prize so I didn't even look up when I heard the footsteps crossing the room.  I shut my eyes and buried my face in my arms.  Not wanting to deal with his endless snark.  I was faintly aware that the footsteps had stopped.  A long, solid arm, wrapped itself around my shoulders, pulling me closer.  "Come here" a soft, low voice said.  Such a pleasant, loving voice.  A small smile graced my lips.  "Lucca." I said simply, another sob escaping as a fresh set of hot tears rolled down my face.  He was back, he was safe, and he didn't hate me.  I leaned against his shoulder, his head protectively resting on mine as he gently rocked me. 

"I'm here, its okay, its okay" he repeated, kissing me on the top of the head.  A couple minutes later, when I was able to control my tears I scooted away so I could look him full in the face. 

"Lucca, I'm so sorry.  I'm so sorry for the way that I acted but I need you to know, it wasn't the vampire venom or the blood loss.  It wasn't like what Dante said. I..." I paused, unsure of how ready I was to say the next few words "I love you."  My bottom lip quivered and I nervously looked around the room, anywhere but at Lucca.  I heard him exhale loudly, relieved. 

"Lia, my darling, I love you too.  And I will do whatever I can to protect you.  We'll find a way out of here I promise" and with that, he took my face in his hands and kissed me.  Slowly, gently, his tongue dancing with my own.  It lasted several long seconds, perhaps even minutes, I wasn't sure.  Though he could have kissed me for seven days straight and I believe I wouldn't have complained one bit.  I rush a wings fluttered in my stomach, as if it inhabited eagles instead of butterflies.  I had never felt this way before but I knew that I could trust Lucca, and I did.  Even considering the circumstances in that moment, lips locked with his, I felt as if I was in the safest place in the world.

And then my perfect world shattered in the blink of an eye.

Heavy, fast footsteps grew louder and louder down the hall until the door flew open for the third time that day.  Antoine.  Lucca barely had enough time to wriggle away from me before Antoine reached him, picking him up by his neck and with a single flick of his wrist spun, Lucca's neck around like a child would a spinning top. Several earsplitting cracks resonated though out the room.  The whole occurrence was almost too fast for me to see and I wasn't entirely sure what had happened until I heard the door slam shut and was left in the room completely alone.  A pair of glassy green eyes, unblinking peer out of golden strands of hair.  Lucca's limp, lifeless body, my only company. 

And then it hit me.  I pulled my knees as tight as possible to my chest and began rocking back and forth as I began shaking uncontrollably.  I couldn't look away from those eyes.  I couldn't speak.  I couldn't cry, I couldn't move other than the involuntary violent tremors that continuously went through my body.

Lucca was dead.