Pao-pao the Shark Dog

The very first dog who is considered a "member" of the family is Pao-pao. He's a small white poodle, my Cousin-S's dog. He's very loyal and possessive of Cousin-S.

If you hug Cousin-S in front of him, he'll growl and bark at you. Fortunately, when we tease him, we're on the bed, so he'll just desperately jump up-and-down, he's ears flapping up-and-down like Snoopy's.

He's cute but he's more of a nuisance than not. We've been to Cousin-S's home a lot of times but he refuses to recognize us as part of the family, even just mere acquaintances of him! He'd chase us and we would scramble for higher ground. Soon all chairs and bed are occupied. We were like travelers stranded on different islands, eyeing the shark-dog who was in a frenzy; he'd be running from one island to another hoping for a bite.

Good thing my uncle has a sturdy office chair with wheels. We would use if as our boat. One cousin would make himself target. Jumping from the bed calling, "Pao-pao, I'm here! I'm here! Nyah-nyah!" And the dog would predictably shot off like a predator catching on a scent of its prey. The other persons would then be free to run for the other islands.

He's old now. He used to us now.

But then you'll be hounded by him pumping himself on your leg.

I'd take the shark-days any day.