Chapter Two

"When large sums of money are involved it is advisable to trust no one" Agatha Christy

The next two weeks passed quickly for Langly as he began to find his own place among all of these men. Only a handful of men actually seemed to hang around the camp in a permanent way. The rest drifted in and then back out only to be replaced by new men and the occasional woman.

Langly found that the men didn't mind so much that he was polite and they even ignored the way he prayed before mealtime just so long as he was helping them with their guns. And being polite and praying wasn't something he was willing to just give up. His mama had raised him to always be respectful and give thanks and his pa was always respectful, at least to everyone except family, and Langly didn't want to give either of those things up.

Langly was even making fairly good honest money working on the guns and had even set up a makeshift hut to work in so he could have a little more privacy. He was having a good time but Jeremiah seemed to be growing more agitated by the day, the hour, even the minute. It was during one of his pacing rants that he barged into Langly's hut.

"Dammit! We were only supposed to hang around here for a couple days!" Jeremiah exclaimed. "I'm ready to be moving on!"

"Then move on." Langly replied with a sigh as he looked up from the muzzleloader he was cleaning. "I like it here." Jeremiah snorted.

"You know most of these men are using you! They know how to fix their own damn guns and Smoky for sure knows how to clean his own rifle!" he exclaimed pointing at the gun lying over Langly's knees.

"They pay me for doing it for them and I enjoy doing it so it works for me."

"You are a hopeless outlaw! You say ma'am, sir, please and thank you! You are working a job in an outlaw camp! You don't want to lay with whores or steal or cheat at poker! I know I promised your damn pa I'd look out for you but this is getting ridiculous!"

Langly felt an instant of irritation and he bit his lip to keep himself from saying the first angry thing that came to mind. Getting angry and demanding to be treated as an adult while stomping his foot sure wouldn't solve anything or help his case. Instead he looked up very calmly at his uncle and then waved his hand.

"You are more than welcome to go on your way, Uncle Jeremiah. I'll be just fine here without you. I really seem to be fitting in and the men seem to like having me around. What could possibly go wrong?"

"You trust too easily." Jeremiah sighed as he rubbed his hand over his face.

"That's a bad thing?" Langly asked and his uncle nodded.

"Around here it is. You don't have your big bad pa to look out for you around here."

"Nope, I got you." Langly replied with a laugh and a grin. "Uncle Jeremiah, I'm a grown man and I'll be fine. If you want to go then go." Langly was only talking brave because inside he was scared to death to be left all alone out here. He'd never been alone a day in his life. He had a feeling his uncle could see through his big talk because he sighed and sat down hard on a rock.

"I'm not gonna just leave ya because your damn pa would bash my head in with his fist but I'm getting real damn tired of hanging around this camp. Do you think you could close up shop for a week or two so we can go blow off some steam and then we can come back for awhile?"

"Sure, Uncle Jeremiah, that'll be fine." Langly replied. "I'll finish up these three guns I'm doing today and tomorrow we can take off for awhile. Might be nice to sleep in a real bed for a night or two."

"I'm getting tired of the selection of ladies around here too. It'll be nice to have some new tits to choose from." Jeremiah added with a grunt.

"It's amazing that you haven't swept some woman off her feet already." Langly said dryly.