Chapter 18: Aquila, Part 2

"DID YOU BRING FOOD?" Cumulo muttered, basking by a hatch, surrounded by dozing miryhls

"Haven't you had breakfast yet?" Mhysra asked, glancing at her brother who was greeting the miryhl beside hers – his bonded, Cirrus.

"Is that what he's complaining about?" Kilai chuckled and removed a stray feather from Cirrus' chest. "The miryhls get fed before we do. They'll get more at midmorning, noon, mid-afternoon and around dusk. That's the new ones," he added, when Cirrus nudged him. "When miryhls first arrive the attendants feed them little and often, in case of delicate constitutions."

Cumulo snorted and shifted, throwing Mhysra and Kilai into the shade. His stomach rumbled and Mhysra grinned. "Poor boy. Not used to short rations, are you?"

"The Wrentherin birds always feel the pinch when they arrive," Kilai said, running his hands through Cirrus' feathers, making her purr with contentment. "Aunt Mhylla overfeeds them."

Cumulo glared at him, grumbling to Mhysra, "Is he calling me fat? Do I look fat? I've been living with the Riders for months, why am I not being fed like one?"

Someone chuckled. Standing on tiptoe, Mhysra peered over Cumulo's back at Hurricane. He was dozing in the sunshine and eavesdropping. After a moment, he opened an eye and winked at her, before settling again.

"Made a new friend, Cue?" she asked innocently.

Cumulo didn't reply, though their proximity was answer enough. No dominant male could bear the sight of another unless peace had been established. Mhysra sighed with relief. She hadn't relished the arguments if Cumulo had decided to be difficult.

"That bird is a brute," Kilai murmured, and Mhysra raised her eyebrows. "Hurricane. Unusual colours, but the size of him." He whistled in approval. "Can't wait to see him and Lyrai in action. The Riders really felt his loss when Froth retired. Good to have him back."

When Cumulo shot Kilai a sour look, the Rider grinned. "No need for jealousy, Cue. You're perfect, but I know you. And before you complain you're wasting away for want of a proper meal, remember that your new friend is going through the same. Even if he is Lieutenant Lyrai's."

Cumulo perked up and looked at Hurricane. The marble miryhl didn't even twitch, just kept on basking serene as a cat. When everyone stopped staring at him, he winked at Mhysra again, making her grin. She liked Hurricane; he would be good for Cumulo.

While waiting for the others to finish checking their miryhls, Mhysra perched on the edge of the hatch and rested against Cumulo. Lounging in the sun with her miryhl at her back, it was easy to forget that it was autumn and Aquila would soon be buried in storms.

"Pretty thing," Kilai said, stroking the nakhound by his feet. Bumble wagged her tail, raised a wing and flopped over to present her belly for a tickle. Chuckling, Kilai complied, looking up at Mhysra from beneath his curls. "One of mine. Did you think I wouldn't notice?"