Chapter 4 - Emily

Start from the beginning

"Well, okay. Let me know if I can help in any way." He responds politely.

"Thanks, Tim." I give him a grateful smile. I'd deadass ask him for some food but I'm pretty sure he'd think I was agreeing to his lunch date, which I'm still iffy about.

We exchange goodbye's and I'm out the door. The slight breeze hits my skin and I'm glad I wore a blazer today. While the September weather is still warm, the air is definitely starting to get chilly. I merrily make my way to my car and I'm thinking I'm probably happier than the students are that it's finally Friday. I've got a date with my bed and a pile of books and, of course, lots of food. I'm just pulling out of the parking lot when my Bluetooth rings in an incoming call. Glancing down at the caller ID, a large grin takes over my face when I see that it's Avery. I don't get to talk to her as often as we used to, me busy with my job and her busy with her internship, but we call each other as often as we can. With a click of a button I'm accepting her call and she beats me to the hello's.

"Hey, girl!" Her perky voice instantly greets me and I laugh a little. Avery was one of those people that was too happy for her own good. But I loved it because being around her was like being around an endless stream of sunny days.

"Hey, love." I say cheerily. "How was your day?" I hear her groan over the line and press my lips together to keep my laughter at bay.

Avery also tended to be quite dramatic so I know whatever she's about to tell me is seriously not as big an issue as I'm sure she's going to make it out to be.

"You wouldn't believe the shit I dealt with. I walked into work today and my boss, who by the way is pretty hot and I'd totally go all 'The Proposal' on him if this wasn't an internship, said that he had a new job for me. And I was excited cause I thought I'd finally be working with patients, right?" She asks in bewilderment. I hum in response.

Avery had a degree in psychology and was trying to put it to good use. I was surprised that she went into that field because of how genuinely happy of a person she was and psychology dealt with some heavy stuff. But, after seeing how well she took care of me after my mom's death, I quickly realized that her charming self was exceptionally good at getting people through their darkest moments.

"Anyways," She continues and I snap my attention back to her. "Turns out that instead of working at the front desk he just wants me to be his assistant."

"Then you can definitely go all 'The Proposal' on him." I snicker.

"Not funny, bitch. At least I was doing work related to my field when I worked the desk. Now the only thing I'll learn is how my boss likes his coffee. And his favourite sex positions." She adds as an afterthought.

"Avery!" I admonish. Yeah. That girl had no problem being open about her sexuality and whereas I was more reserved, Avery paraded her preferences around like a red flag. Her twinkling laughter reaches my ears and I can't help but smile back.

"Sorry," She apologizes and I roll my eyes because she's anything but. "Tell me about you, now. Meet any new people on the job?"

"Actually, yes. The teacher across my classroom that teaches art, Tim Felds."

"Sounds like a loser," She snorts.

"Hey," I defend. "He's the only one who's reached out to me since I started working. He's really nice. And he's kind of cute." I say thoughtfully.

"He probably wants to get into your pants." Avery concludes and my eyes narrow in a glare though she can't see it.

"Or, he's just being a friend." I say pointedly. Then quietly mutter, "And he asked me out to lunch."