More than... Rivals?? (Edogawa Ranpo)

Start from the beginning

"Ranpo? You ok???" you tapped the man who had his head down on the desk, sulking.

He suddenly jumped up, making you step back a little. "Alright, (F/N) chan! You might be smarter than me, but that doesn't mean I'm dumb! From now on, you'll be my rival!" Ranpo shouted as he pointed to you.

For some reason, you didn't like the idea of being called 'rival' from Ranpo. You pouted. "Hey. You better not see me as JUST a rival, ok?"

Ranpo shook his head furiously and crossed his arms over his chest. "Nope. You're a rival of mine. Someone I need to defeat and outsmart someday."

"B-but, I..." you felt your lips start to quiver and felt your cheeks being red. There was a fuzzy yet strange feeling in your stomach churning around when Ranpo called you a rival. You didn't care if anyone called you a rival, but you didn't want to hear that from Ranpo because you had feelings for him...

You hoped things would turn back to normal when you entered the agency the next morning. But it still stayed the same. Ranpo announced to everyone that you were his rival that he desperately wanted to beat. But you remained calm and smiled, reassuring everyone that you weren't hurt one bit.

"Um, Kunikida kun? Where's my seat?" you pointed to the seat next to him. Your seat was supposed to be next to Kunikida, but it was sparkly clean like no one was ever sitting there.

"Oh, Dazai moved your seat right across from him along with Ranpo san sitting beside you." Kunikida pointed to the brunette who was waving happily at you and grinning like an idiot.

"DAZAI!!!!" you stomped your way to Dazai, feeling extremely pissed.

"Yes, (F/N) chan?" he smiled up at you innocently.

"Number one, why would you move my seat here, and number two, why would you move Ranpo's seat next to mine?!"

"That's because since you two are rivals, I thought it would be entertaining to watch you two debate over everything!" Dazai answered, clapping his hand together delightfully.

"Kuniki-"

"I tried everything I can to stop him, (F/N). It's no use now." Kunikida replied from across the room.

"Dazai san is an absolute worst..." Atsushi muttered quietly as possible, scared that he would be killed by him.

"What, (F/N) chan? Do you have a problem with it???" he smirked as he raised his eyebrows. You felt your face bloom as it hit you. Dazai knew exactly what you were thinking and he knew your feelings towards Ranpo.

You slammed your hand onto his desk and growled. "No. Problem. At. ALL." you struggled a bit to hide your blush as you walked back to your new seat next to Ranpo. Dazai chuckled as he observed you two throughout the whole day.

Hour number two:

You sighed in relief as you thought the day was going smoothly so far with Ranpo being beside you. All though he did absolutely nothing, you thought he would annoy you endlessly, but surprisingly, he was just reading the newspaper quietly or doodling on a piece of paper.

"Alright... When I'm finished typing in the last few sentences, I'm finally done with this report..." you mumbled to yourself and when you were about to hit enter, your hand accidentally hit Ranpo's making the eraser he was holding drop to the floor.

"Sorry, I'll pick that up-" you bent down to pick it up until Ranpo also bent down to pick it up. You felt his hand grasp on top of yours and the awkward you flipped out of the chair, looking like a complete fool.

"(F/N) chan!! You ok??" Dazai got up from his chair and helped you up.

"She was just being clumsy, that's all." Ranpo shrugged as he continued erasing something on his paper. You glared at him, with your flushed cheeks.