Chapter 1

Waking up with the car bumps, the little girl soon found that the journey continued through the night. Beyond the windows, only darkness, except for the dirt road the headlights illuminated.

Looking in the rearview mirror, the man who was driving told to his daughter, "See who opened her eyes! We're almost there."

"Honey, we should have left earlier," said the wife who was sitting in the passenger seat.

"I know! I know! Been so long I did this route that I forget the duration." He turned to look at the mirror. "You know, the last time we came here was to show you to your grandmother. You were still very young-"

"You've told that story a lot of times." The girl smiled.

"Even though it rains a lot, I like the peace of the place, but I hope that her house is not abandoned," the woman remarked.

"Of course not," spoke the man, "the people of the village would take care of... of..."

"What?"

He gripped the wheel more firmly. "Strange, it seems they put sand on the road."

Everyone inside the vehicle felt that the ground was more soft.

"W-Where is the road?!" He slowed down and kept going until he was forced to stop because the lights bathed the waves.

"This is a beach?" the woman asked, "you missed the way?"

"Impossible! I saw the sign." The man was astonished. "The ocean could not be so close." He put the car on reverse, but when accelerated, the vehicle did not move. "Oh no! We got stuck?"

The wife crossed her arms and huffed. "That's what happens for leaving so late. You don't know how to find the place in the dark."

Her husband raised his voice. "I said I saw the sign! I'm sure!"

"Sure!" She rolled her eyes. "But you must have read it, there was written 'nowhere'."

The man stepped on the gas, more due to anger than hope. "I read the sing, okay? I read!"

"Why not use this stubbornness to unstuck this car?" The woman took off her belt. "Or maybe you want the tide come and do it for you."

Hearing this, her husband took off his belt promptly. "Damn!"

However, before they could get out of the car, the girl warned, "What is going on with the sea?"

The waters had receded to the point of revealing its bed. A sound had been heard, as the waves of before, but it continued to gain strength. Then the lights of the car showed a massive wall of water that quickly came toward them.

At first, the three stood motionless, only managing to stammer some phonemes in the face of impending doom. The woman was the first act, trying to open the door.

But he grabbed her arm. "No! DON'T GET OUT OF THE CAR!"

While the girl only had time to close her eyes and protect with her arms. Then came the deafening sound of the impact. She screamed only for herself, when the seat belt pulled violently. The dark world spun and the water, salt and cold, came from all directions.

When they invaded her nostrils, the girl tried to cough, but only made more water came into her mouth. She tried to reopen her eyes, but they got irritated and she was unable to see anything. She felt her body bump on a surface, which she was not sure if it was the window or the top of the vehicle. She groped desperately, listening to the accelerated heartbeat and feeling her lungs burning.

Then came a bright light. Attracted by that, the girl was able to discern the front seats of the vehicle and, between the white light beams, the bodies of her parents floating. Suddenly a strong impact hit the car and everything went dark again.