Chapter Twelve - A Game Of Truth or Pain

Start from the beginning

He wanted to run and hide, but his feet were glued to the ground. He felt Hart's eyes on him the whole time like needles poking his skin. Hart was a man of control, and if someone else tried to take it from him . . . well, you could kiss your life goodbye. But Riley didn't regret what he had done, not after seeing him again. It all came back to him in flashes; the lies, the secrets, the unanswered questions.

Riley took a testy step forward, watching Hart. The man didn't move or react, he only stared back. He was surrounded by the dead bodies like they were somehow protecting him, which frightened Riley even more. He had already experienced what dead people running after him looked like, he did not want to see it again. And if they did wake up and try to grab Riley, he was ready to disappear instantly; his dagger was in his right pocket, close to his touch.

Don't let him manipulate you, Riley. You can't let him go. You have gone long enough without answers, it's time to get them.

“Hart.”

The man didn't respond. His eyes bore into Riley's, watching his every move as he walked closer inside. There was something different about the way Hart looked. As Riley walked closer, passing through bodies, he noticed Hart had dark bags under his eyes, like the man hadn't slept for days. His posture was weak, his shoulders slouched a little and his hands dangled at his sides like useless heavy limbs.

The same question kept circling his thoughts; why didn't he leave the dark room? He could have easily done so, yet there he was, like he hadn't moved an inch since he last saw him. And the way he looked, what was wrong with him? Was he sick?

“I don't want to hurt you, but I will if I have to,” Riley warned him, the distance between them closing.

Hart started laughing quietly, showing his bloody teeth.

“Hurt me, as if you could.”

Riley flashed him the dagger, but Hart did not seem to care. It made Riley wonder if it was all a lie to ease his fear, that in fact the dagger couldn't kill him. But it didn't explain why he still had the scar across his face. He couldn't have lied, no way. Hart was sick, he looked like he was dying. He was talking nonsense.

“What are you trying to say?” Riley asked, giving in to his skeptical thoughts.

“I'm immortal!” Hart yelled, raising his hands.

The bodies around Riley began to twitch, and he knew what was coming. He had to react fast, otherwise he might not make it this time. Hart was different somehow, he wasn't himself. Riley couldn't be sure if he would hurt him, or worse, kill him. He ran forward and grabbed Hart by the shirt, teleporting them outside of the dark room and shutting the door as quickly as possible.

“What are you doing?!” Hart growled angrily.

“Shut up!” Riley screamed at him as he pushed the man against the wall and wrapped the chains around his hands. Hart tried to launch at him but the chains restrained him very well, and he did not seem to like that because he then snapped and began to violently lash out with crazy eyes and a bloody mouth. He looked like an animal.

“Take these chains off!”

“No,” Riley said, walking back to the metal table in the middle of the room. “We're going to play a little game called 'truth or dare' but with a twist. Want to know what the twist is?”

Hart glared darkly, not saying a word as Riley picked up a large knife.

“The twist . . . is pain. I'll ask you a question, and if you don't answer, well, I'm sure it's obvious what will happen.” Gripping the knife tightly, Riley walked back to Hart and ripped his shirt off with the sharp blade. “I know you can't die by this, but I know you can feel every pain.”