Chapter 3:The Great Hallway Journey II

Start from the beginning

Dammit.

"Jeanette?"

She looked at me, showing that she was paying attention.

"Do you, by any chance, have a hair pin I could borrow? Please?" I looked down at the black and white tiles beneath us nervously, waiting to hear 'No' as her reply.

But surprisingly, a bobby pin and a small, soft, smooth hand came into sight. I looked up at her with gratefulness and smiled. She did too.

But our momentarily happy moment ended shortly when there was yet another bang followed by faint, manic cackling. Jeanette jumped, bashed into me and accidentally dropped her pin. We simultaneously dropped to the floor, trying to scrabble for it in amongst the dark tiles it camouflaged in.

When the pin finally came into sight, we both crawled at full speed towards it, and bashed our foreheads together in the process. Then, we both sat back and rubbed our sore foreheads.

"I... I'm so sorry, Simon. I'm such a klutz..." she face-palmed in disgrace, then winced in pain because she hit the painful area, "...and an idiot,"

"Don't say that to yourself. I'm sure you're not an idiot!" I tried to comfort her. I'm not really good with words.

I finally found the Bobby pin, reached out for it, and picked it up.

"We've got no time to waste."

I got up, then I offered my hands to Jeanette. She happily took them and I pulled her up.

"Thank you." She mumbled sheepishly, dusting off her jeans, while I jumped back onto the door handle.

I bit off the rubbery-shiny bits at both ends of the Bobby pin, inserted it into the keyhole and jiggled it around a bit, before finally hearing a clicking sound.

"Did you do it?" Jeanette asked, suddenly appearing at the bottom of the door.

I jumped back down, then pushed the door open with ease.

"Yep!" I smiled. I stuck out my arm, and gestured for her to go in first. But she stayed where she was.

"Are you okay?" I asked, feeling concerned.

"Huh? Oh... yeah. I'm fine. Sorry." she mumbled, and walked through the open door.

Wondering what was going through her mind, I walked through as well and closed the door behind me.

SJSJSJSJSJSJSJSJSJSJSJSJSJSJSJSJSJSJSJSJSJSJSJSJSJSJS

Jeanette's POV

I walked through the door, terrible thoughts bouncing around in my mind.

Loathly Little Talentless Thing.

Is that all I was to her? To others? To my sisters? To Simon?

I quickly and forcefully snapped out of my detrimental train of thought as I felt Simon's presence next to me.

I felt him staring at me, which caused me to glow bright red and bow my head.

"Should we go, then?" he asked

"Yes, please," I looked up, and saw that he was already three paces away.

I walked quickly to catch up with him.

It was too quiet, with everyone inside class. And, as I'd mentioned before, too much silence puts me under intense pressure.

I really wanted to make conversation, but everytime I opened my mouth to talk, no sound would come out, and I would be left feeling defeated. I opened my mouth one last time to talk, but Simon beat me to it.

"We're almost at the library, now!" he pointed ahead to what looked like a small shed.

Lovely. Well, at least I now understand what he meant by "... Nobody goes in it".

When we FINALLY got to the library, Simon asked me to wait outside the door. He went in to make sure that the coast was clear. Five seconds later, he popped back out again, held a thumbs up sign, and opened the door for me from the inside.

Well, I totally regretted thinking the library looked like a small shed. In fact, I felt so bad about what I thought that it would be like on the inside that, when Simon wasn't looking, I quickly stroked the cream coloured wall and whispered a word of apology.

It was undeniably the best, most beautiful AND most spacious library I have ever been to.

There were cream coloured walls with multi-coloured mini library books scattered all over the place (the walls). The ceiling was decorated with all sized stars, with the occasional golden shooting star. The shelves were a dark brown, almost black, colour and were wooden. Then shelves were organised perfectly, with not a single book out of place. There were 8 computers in a row, all facing a window that I never saw or knew of from outside. The librarian's desk was neat, with a pot of colourful pens and a computer monitor on one side, and a small mesh container for due books on the other. Finally, six large study tables with six chairs around each one filled up the rest of the space. To call this place gorgeous was an understatement.

Simon must've seen the look of awe and wonder on my face because he smiled and walked over.

"Do you like it? We re-did it as a project for extra credit in Art last week! As you can hopefully tell, we tried to make this place as creative and welcoming as possible." he gestured to the ceiling, walls and bookshelves.

"It... It's amazing! How I wish we could spend more time here!" I smiled widely and looked around. Then my eyes fell on Simon. Did I mention how beautiful he is?

We both just smiled and stared at each other for almost a minute, but sadly we remembered the situation we were in.

"S-so I guess I'll show you the hiding place that I was going on about," he stammered, still smiling nervously.

"That would be nice. Thanks, Simon." I gave him a warm, genuine smile.

I really don't care WHAT this so called place is like, so long as we're safe and get our fair share of privacy. I just hope that my sisters are okay, and aren't experiencing the same things as me. If they (unfortunately) are, I wonder if they'll tell their chipmunks...?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hey guys, it's FINALLY me again and I've FINALLY been able to upload another chapter! Yeah, it's not as good or interesting as the previous chapters, but it's something, right? Anyways, I really hope you do like my book so far, 'cuz I know I do! Lol xD. Hopefully I'll be able to update more frequently because right now there's a six-week holiday here in England! Yaaaay! If you're having your holidays too, then happy holidays! Have fun and stay safe! :)

If you like this chapter please vote, share and comment feedback, because it would be nice to know that people are actually reading ...x3

I'm such a weirdo sometimes xD

Thanks for all of your support so far!

Love y'all :*

~Jeanette Oladimeji~