Chapter 3:The Great Hallway Journey II

Simon's POV

"Somewhere private, somewhere private... Ah! I've got it!" I snapped my fingers in triumph.

"Oh, that's great! So, where are we going?" she asked, clasping her hands again in anticipation to know.

"We're going to the library."

Her expression changed completely, to confusion, with a dash of mild horror. She didn't even need to ask the question for me to understand what she meant.

"Don't worry, we're not going to sit around and read books! I know a place where we can have total privacy, trust me." I assured her, and she nodded in response.

Just when we'd both managed to get our heart rates just about back to normal, there was another loud bang.

Following that was a deep, female, sinister voice.

"Ah ha ha ha ha!" It cackled in a sinister manner.

"So it didn't work! Shocking. All because of that stupid little boyfriend of yours. But don't worry loathly, little talentless thing, I will get rid of you once and for all! You and your pesky, spoilt sisters! All of you will be gone! For good!" It cackled again. The voice echoed menacingly throughout the ceiling.

I could've sworn that I saw a flush of strawberry-red in Jeanette's cheeks at the 'boyfriend' bit.

I'm probably just mistaken. I'm really shaken up at the moment.

Her safety is my priority.

She stood glued to her spot, shaking wildly, with an expression of sheer fear.

I felt the urge to put my arms around her but 1) it would've been totally awkward—we've only just met! And 2) I'm sure it wouldn't have been much use. My arms stayed stuck to my sides.

I'm starting to think irrationally. Put my arms around her? What am I thinking?

I finally worked up the tiniest bit of courage.

"We need to go. Now. Don't worry the place in the library is safe, and nobody else knows about it. And by that I mean, nobody goes in it." I whispered.

"O-Okay," she spoke in what wouldn't even qualify as a whisper.

"Are you okay to walk?" I asked with concern.

Jeanette nodded, probably still too scared to speak.

"Then follow me. We'll have to be quick and quiet, though," I motioned for her to trail along with me, and she did.

Luckily we're both chipmunks, so we could both run fast. We turned a left down the hall, passed a few classrooms, then came to a glass door. I tried my hardest to push it, but it wouldn't open.

How embarrassing. Even if we are in a bad—no—horrifying situation, I still don't want to look like a nerdy weakling. 

I bet Alvin would've been able to open these doors instantly.

I pushed this thought out of my mind. I couldn't think of myself at that moment. I had to help Jeanette.

When she saw I was struggling, Jeanette leapt forward to try to help. She pushed the door with me. We grunted in extreme effort while pushing the door to get to safety. It was relentless.

I stopped and thought about it for a few seconds.

After my short brainstorm, I leapt up onto the door handle and jiggled it around for a bit. This resulted in multiple clunking sounds. It was locked.