Chapter 2 - Death by Studying

Začať od začiatku

On the way there, she noticed a man walk past her. He caught her attention not only because he wore chic clothes but also because he was taller than her. She had been one of the three tallest women in her university and she was sure she hadn't met a man who could contend with them, not until now that is, and it seemed he was handsome too judging by the fine-shape of his jaw and facial features.

"Hi Dally, I'd like to bring these books home please," she stated when the librarian looked up past her counter.

"For your thesis again?" the woman named Dally asked.

Solene shook her head. She adjusted her red asymmetrical blouse as well as her sneakers and then smiled, but her eyes were actually looking elsewhere.

"Ah, no, just a weekly task instructed by my professor," she answered whilst trying to find the tall man who had disappeared into a bookshelf.

The librarian shrugged. "Okay, library card then."

"Here," Solene placed the card on the counter and then went back to look. This time, she saw the man sit in an area where there weren't any students. He opened a leather-bound book and flipped the pages, instantly engrossed on whatever the contents were. He was even oblivious of the many college women ogling him from the other tables.

Meanwhile, the librarian did her routine work that consisted of stamping, typing the details on the computer and asking for Solene's signature before all of the four books were released to her.

"There.  The due date is two weeks from now," Dally said with a pleased grin. She couldn't even tell that Solene was partly out of herself when she handed the book. "I deliberately extended it for you because you're a frequent visitor here."

'Frequent' was an understatement though when Solene knew she had been coming to the library almost daily for this past six months.

Solene awarded the librarian a smile anyway and nodded, putting the inviting presence of the man at the back of her head.

"Thanks Dally. You're the best."

"Say hi to your grandmother for me," the librarian chimed just as Solene placed the books on her recyclable bag.

"I will," she said and then walked away.

Unconsciously, her eyes shifted back to the man still sitting on his seat. He was still reading and judging from his furrowed brows, clearly quite invested with it instead of the women obviously fawning over him some meters away.

She gave herself a shrug.

"It looks like the library is going to be full this day."

~ 0 ~

"You're late," an old man sitting on a couch pointed out the moment Solene walked through the front door. For a seventy-five year-old senior, he still had a thick mass of gray hair and could still walk properly without the aid of a cane.

Solene dipped her head shyly and approached her grandfather.

"Sorry pops.  I'm on a tight schedule with my school work." She stooped low and placed a quick kiss on his forehead.

Her grandfather cringed.

"Seriously, you're the only college student I know who goes to the library almost everyday," he commented.

Solene didn't see it as a complain though. She just chuckled and walked towards a bookshelf near the kitchen.

"All part of a student life pops," she answered whilst placing her newly acquired books on the shelf.