CHAPTER 14 - THE GISTERWOUD (Part Three)

Start from the beginning

'What were those white ghosts?' Olle balled his fists. 'We were helpless against them.'

Archodea smiled. 'Oh, yes, the mistlings. They haven't been active for a long time. They've wandered there since time immemorial. Nobody knows who they once were and why they're at that spot. They've no intelligence left, no consciousness, only an uncontrollable lust. The mist awakened them; that was their moment. Had we known you'd halted right there, we would've come sooner.' Again, the Drynnath smiled. 'We were looking for you. As soon as our listening post heard the clap of your breaking out of the mana stream, Rhydd went out with his gardians to scout the area. We didn't know what it was, you see. Only that our listener sat staring in the distance for almost half an hour.'

'Was that something like Bo's black-out?' asked Ghyll.

'Bernabo? Yes, it hit him at a time when he was wide open. He was lucky to survive such a mana overdose. A less gifted or less resilient mage would've burned out on the spot.'

Bo looked triumphantly around the table. 'They should hear that at the Institute: gifted and resilient.'

Uwella gave him a scornful look. 'You should've been more discreet when porting. That would have lessened the blow a great deal.'

The others laughed. 'Let us rejoice; they are well again.' Damion grinned at Uwella.

'You!' The wikke stared at him through slitted eyes. 'I'll get you one of these days, Damion. Putting your hands on me, would you?'

'How else could I've saved you?'

'I don't know,' she said darkly. 'But you've woken up something and now you'll have to face the consequences.'

Rhydd glanced from his sister to Damion. Then he shrugged his shoulders as if in resignation.

They agreed to leave after breakfast. Archodea promised them provisions for the road and she didn't demur when Uwella said she was going to stay with the Companions.

Olle said goodbye to Lieiya in her workshop. 'We're leaving,' he said uncomfortably.

'I know,' the girl said as she pulled a bowstring with her teeth. The words came out blurred, but Olle understood what she meant.

'Well, thanks. Bye.'

'Bye,' said the girl. Then she began to laugh. 'Silly bear, come here.' The bow remained unstrung, as the two made love one last time. 'Button your fly,' she said when they were done. 'And when you see Kaati, tell her you're great in bed, but that you've a bad head for names.'

Olle blushed. 'Did I make a mistake?'

Lieiya roared with laughter. 'All the time. I thought it was cute. Well, get out before your friends come to fetch you.'

Hastily Olle joined the rest. Ghyll was still ordering things, but Torril stared at him with raised eyebrows. 'Where were you?' When Olle blushed, he said disapprovingly, 'You were with her again, huh?' He sniffed. 'I don't know what you like about it.'

Olle shook his head. 'Just wait,' he said. 'I'll help you remember that remark then.'

A quarter of an hour later, they rode out of the gate. Within minutes, the kerran Adalien had melted into the forest behind them. They knew they wouldn't be able to find it again.

Vasthul rolled the dead horseman under some bushes. I would have made a fine bandit, he thought. With my magical powers, it would've been a breeze to get rich. He opened the stolen purse and smiled. A new horse and now gold! The Anti was gracious to him today. Then he shivered and began to cough. He wasn't going to be sick, was he? All day his bowels had felt like they had a knot in them that someone would tighten now and then, and then he'd gasp in pain. His arms and legs felt so heavy. Groaning, he climbed into the saddle. And the trip had been going so well. For a moment, it had seemed that someone else would steal his prey. That fat bitch DeMannau crowed that she'd laid her hands on him in the Gisterwoud. She'd celebrated too soon; Hardingraud had escaped her. How, Central couldn't say, but DeMannau was dead. He grinned for a moment. It had been that boorish pig lover's own fault. Forward now, he made good speed. The long ride from Leudra City to Kyrran-on-the-Yanthe had gone faster than he'd expected. That he had ridden three other horses to death didn't bother him. Horses and people were all tools. When the Revenaunt returned, they'd die anyway, so what should he care if some went a little earlier. He clenched his teeth to stop their chattering and hurried his fourth horse down the road.