Chapter 6

A few hours later she walked into her office looking alert and every inch the professional. The Navy had hired her to teach classes on body language to those about to be deployed in hopes that it would help them recognize trouble before it happened. So far the program had a good track record, and if it helped to save a life it was worth it.

Her red hair was pulled neatly back into a chignon. The suit she had chosen was form-fitting and light grey, the skirt stopped just above her knees and the jacket had two buttons which she left open, showing a white silk blouse. Her three-inch black heels finished off the outfit. She was also wearing black-rimmed glasses which always made her feel smarter, and she felt she would need the extra added boost that they gave her.

Devon didn't have much time before Grant showed up at her door asking her if she was ready. Nodding, she grabbed the necessary supplies and followed him in silence. The halls were already bustling and Devon, used to the chaos, focused her mind on what lay ahead.

Grant had told her that it was important and since he was the reason she had the job she didn't want to let him down. Taking deep practiced breaths she kept her outward appearance calm and serene as they entered a room full of men in uniform. It was a mix, most were in their NSUs but others were in their service khakis.

Devon did a quick scan of faces and was shocked to see Josh's staring back at her, along with Kellan and another tall man whom she hadn't met yet. She watched Josh tense then force himself to relax while keeping all expression from his face other than a slight tick in his jaw. Kellan's face was equally as bland. Continuing her perusal of the room, she saw three older men who were high ranking and two other men in civilian clothes.

Josh was Navy! Her mind wanted to pause and turn the new fact over for a minute, but she ignored it as she kept her attention focused on Grant.

Grant introduced her as Dr. Devon Tatum, and then another officer took over briefing her as to why she was there. As she listened, she moved to a table in the center of the room and sat her belongings down, ignoring her fast-beating heart and the fact the Josh was in the Navy. She glanced around the room one more time meeting everyone's eyes and taking in ranks, noting that Josh was wearing a trident on his NSU's. He was a SEAL.

Devon learned that she was there to watch the interrogation of a potential terrorist that was apprehended in a recent raid. There were mixed intel reports on his background, and they wanted a better read on him and some clarification as to his truthfulness.

"Who apprehended him?" Devon asked as she took her seat her back towards the men behind her and facing the television.

"McIntire, Mercer, and Hilliard."

"I thought SEAL teams were in groups of four. Where's the fourth?" She asked in a calm voice.

"That's classified," one of the higher-ranking men said behind her.

"Commander Bricks," Devon looked at his name tag, "I'm here to help you, but what I do is dependent on a lot of different variables, variables that others don't even think about. I have security clearance, and I promise I will only ask questions for which the answers have will direct bearing on what you have asked me here to do." She turned to him and gave him her best smile. "Now, where is the fourth?"

She felt Josh's eyes boring into her back but she couldn't focus on that.

"He was injured and is in the hospital in stable condition," Bricks answered her.

"Before I can begin I need some basic information. Who can give me this?" Devon looked at all the men equally paying no more attention to Josh than the others.