No Homo

James leans forward against the railing, sighing and picking at a loose screw. He's managed to twist it about halfway through, and soon the rattle of the screw is the only sound between him and the taller individual.

The arrival of summer break had occurred about two weeks ago, and since then James hadn't been doing much of anything, really. Most if his days were consumed by the exchange of messages between each other.

He turns his head slightly, just enough to catch Albon's face and still seem like he was interested in mauling the rusty screw.

Albon is the first one to speak. This catches James by surprise, and he flinches and flicks the poor screw into the mud below.

"Aren't you bored, just standing there doing nothing?"

He doesn't reply for a moment, and after what seemed like an eternity of contemplation, he responds.

"Yeah, I guess."

A mixed emotion of embarrassment and self-cringe enfulge his body. He quickly turns away and squeezes his eyes shut, wishing to take back the abrupt action he'd just executed.

"Stop looking away, dude. The situation's gonna get more awkward if you do that," Albon says, irritation laced in his tone.

James wants to slap himself now. More awkward, he says. The situation was already awkward to begin with. His mind races, looking for a witty retort, and he wishes he possessed Albon's sharp tongue.

"Well, your face is awkward!" He blurts, and a moment of silence is commenced. He can feel the blood gathering in his face, and before he can step back, Albon steps forward with a sly grin.

"My face, eh?"

Albon leans ever-so-slighty closer to James's own, and he sucks in a tight breath. He grabs his hand and pulls him closer; James has never been in such close proximity with another person besides his family, and he's not even sure if he's mentally prepared for this.

His face leans closer, and he braces himself from the impact of a kiss, and starts to hear the steady breathing the the other.

"No homo, bro."

Albon tears away from him, laughing and snorting until his eyes are watery and red. James looks devastated, and starts to laugh out of self-pity. He laughs because he is ashamed of thinking in such a manner, laughs because he wishes he didn't feel this way, and laughs because he knows he's lying.

Albon laughs out of the hilarity of the situation he's caused.

*

What am I doing with my life

- SMR