Fragile State - XI

Jasper waved goodbye to Lady Darcy and Juliette before they disappeared in the stagecoach that had brought him home. He breathed a satisfying sigh before heading up to the house, and the doors were opened for him by a set of dazzling guards. "Welcome home, Young Master," they said in unison as he moved by.

Regarding them with a nod, the two men hid their perplexity at how pleased Jasper looked. As servants to the Lancechester manor, it was strange to witness him in such a content disposition. Jasper had an authentic smile on his face, and lightness in his true blue eyes. All in all, it was apparent he'd enjoyed his day out. And yes Jasper had. Dorothy and Benard had given him yet another pleasurable time away from everything that usually upset his mood. Let us not forget Lady Darcy and, quiet and shy, Juliette. Jasper had the benefit of their kind company the most; simply talking with them was fascinating.

In the past Jasper had met few boys who also preferred the same sex, but never happened upon a girl with the same outlook. Lady Darcy was a wonder to him, something new, and he cherished their novel friendship.

Activity within the manor was hushed as Jasper sauntered to the stairs. He couldn't wait to share the details of his day with the one person he loved, and hear in return all that Eli had the time to do with his day off. Perhaps he'd gone to visit his family in Brimonhive. Jasper surely would love to hear how that went.

Reaching the second floor, Jasper trekked through the winding halls and wide corridors toward Eli's chamber at the end of the long passage. When he opened the slightly heavy door, he gratefully found Eli inside. But he wasn't alone.

Eli was at the window on the far side of the bed, bare-chested and his eyes were closed as if tired. Anna was standing before him, her back to Jasper, and a gentle hand was placed on Eli's chest.

Jasper's breath was caught, unable to utter a sound, but when the chamber door creaked to announce his presence, Anna and Eli looked over at him. "Master," the red haired boy said, seeming stunned, and Anna simply held her tongue, her body blocking Eli's form. "I was unaware of your return."

As Eli, still hidden from Jasper's view, scurried to put his shirt and coat back on, Anna helped him button the clothing and stepped aside.

Tongue tied and at a loss for words, Jasper felt a sting of betrayal and unexpected distress tightening in his throat. A second later, Jasper vanished from the doorway, eyes burning as tears formed in them.

"Master!" Eli called, but he didn't pursue him further.

Anna, confused but holding her query, said, "Elijah, you have to tell the Young Master."

Eli placed a hand on his chest, wincing from a pain that stung his whole torso and his arms. "I can't," he refused. "He has enough problems with the others in the manor. I do not wish to make things worse on behalf of my pain."

"But you are hurt awfully bad. The ointment I gave for your bruises will not entirely hide them. You will still feel the pain for a couple days."

The bruises...After talking back to Edmund, Bolton and Francis the way he had, the three boys had taken him out to the stables to teach him a lesson in respect for nobles. Although Eli didn't think lessons could be taught by pounding fists and harsh words, the three boys had beaten him into exhaustion. Now, his chest and arms were covered in dark blackish violet contusions scattered about his body. Thankfully, they'd left his face alone. Given that, Eli had planned to keep these bruises a secret from Jasper, let them heal naturally and avoid confrontation. The last thing he wanted was for Jasper to feel like he had to protect him.

Eli wanted to handle his own business.

"Then I will be extra careful," Eli said, "My Master doesn't need to know, and you don't need to speak of this again. Thank you for helping with my wounds, but I can handle things from here on."