Chapter 3

Author's Note:

The rýneau are the mystics of Mount Andett.

Rýneau  (plural)

Rýne (singular)

Enjoy the chapter!

  ***  

Death is always certain. It the inevitable fate of each and every living creature that has walked and walks this earth. Many have long believed in trying to achieve immortality, to become gods. And we do succeed in eternal life, but not as literal as the notion may sound. It is our children, our legacy that live on. So long as a family remains, no one ever dies. The blood must continue to flow.

I was a queen in black. I had not been adorned entirely in the color since the national state of mourning after the battle two years ago. The darkness around me made a statement, and that was what I intended. Upon entering the council chamber, my ministers were wide-eyed and I could see many of them begin to pale. I delivered my advisors the grave news, and they accepted it with dreary silence and solemn looks of condolence.

I decided to take a walk in the gardens, as if in search for serenity – anything that would take away my anxiety. It has been a day since I visited what used to be Conpo, and the site of the devastation has gotten me little sleep. When I did manage to finally rest, my dreams were just a howling wind as I ran across the red flower fields of Mount Andett; I was trying to escape the darkness that crept upon me, the same darkness I saw when I was conscious. I woke up covered in sweat, and for the first time in a long while, my cheeks were covered in tears. The last time I cried in my sleep were the days and weeks following my father's passing.

I walked alone, two guards following at a distance. The bright red of the newly bloomed roses and the fresh greenery around me was not curing me of my worries. I kept a straight face nevertheless, giving a faint smile to courtiers that passed me. Having wandered through this escape countless times, I knew where I could find a marble bench that was secluded from prying eyes. The sky was dotted with white clouds, the white in perfect harmony with the blue.

It seemed as though my day had not intent to be favorable to me. Upon making my way to the private bench, I ran into Katarina in a sweet embrace. Her back was to me as the man, whom I realized was Lord Dayton, was dotting her neck with kisses as she giggled. God, the sound was sickening. I was standing there with a stoic face for about five seconds, the lovers completely unaware of my presence, until the man moved away from her neck and up to her lips. Dayton's eyes caught mine and I felt a bit of joy to see him pale in fear. Oh yes, I make people old enough to be my parents afraid of me, and there is so much pleasure I take from it. It's thrilling. I nearly smiled and laughed when he pushed Katarina away from him, likely surprising her, before bowing, his eyes boring into the green floor below.

"Your majesty," Dayton let out, trying to sound indifferent by my intrusion.

"Oh, don't mind me, Lord Dayton," I said, walking forward and moving around him, my eyes meeting those of a blushing but furious Katarina, "carry on your activity, but be wise and resume inside the privacy of a chamber. Children tend to play around in this part of the garden and we wouldn't want to taint their innocent eyes, now would we?" It wasn't a lie, children of nobles always loved to play in the garden, and it always brought me a little happiness to run into them and hear their stories. Children help to reassure us that innocence and purity still do exist.

"Of course, majesty." I heard him get up from his bow and whisper something to Katarina as I began to move away. It wasn't until I was just a turn from being at peace that I stopped and turned. "Katarina, what do you want?"