Chapter 1

Sorry for the wait! Enjoy. BTW I LOVE "REIGN!!!"

"Make sure there is enough wheat to be cultivated before winter arrives. I want it in writing and sent all over Alendar that farmers are to sell three-fourths of their produce and store the other fourth for them and their families."

"Yes, Majesty." Robert Rosewall noted it in his manuscript. As my newest financial advisor he's not bad. Young but not too young. Confident but not annoyingly confident. I did appoint him because I wanted a fresh mind but also because his father, Matthew Rosewall, served as my father's financial advisor and then as mine until Matthew asked to retired.

Side by side were walked down one of the many corridors. It was early in the afternoon; I knew because as a child I paid attention only to parts of the palace where the sun hit perfectly. I was at peace, and so was my kingdom.

"I will also have the follow up report available by the end of the week," Robert continued. "Some of our merchants have been complaining about the prices for the Torvan goods they are trying to buy. They say the Torvans are asking for too high a sum for such a small quantity. If I may advise, majesty, a letter to King Francis will help sort out this conflict."

I nodded, giving him a smile as we turned a corner. "Yes, I am sure King Francis will know what to do."

There was more for us to discuss, but my eyes fell upon Buckingham, whom when he say me seemed relieved. However, the look he wore right after made my stomach coil as I felt myself begin to pale. Something was not right.

"Is there anything else, Robert, or are we good till next week?" I rushed out, stopping and turning to him.

Robert seemed to sense I had more pressing matters to get to, so he skimmed over the other pages he was holding and shook his head. "That should be it for now, your majesty." With a quick bow he was heading off in one direction and I in another.

Buckingham met me half way as we began to walk forward.

"What is it?"

"How do you know something is of the matter," he asked quietly as we turned a corner. I not a single clue of where we were going, I just knew that I am able to think of what I will say next while I am moving.

I let out a sigh. "Buckingham, if there is one thing that I am good at besides for interrupting people to correct them is that I know how to read a person. Now tell me, what is the matter?"

Buckingham remained silent as we passed a few courtiers. "Not here," he whispered so that only I may hear, "The gardens would be an ideal place."

I can now confirm that the matter of great importance he is about to tell me is something that will trouble me. Buckingham must have already known this; the gardens are one of the few places of the palace that brings me to a calm state of mind.

We made a turn to the right, following the birds' chirping that grew louder as we advanced closer. After about a minute we were well situated in the greenery of the gardens. Buckingham gestured for me to sit but I shook my head. "Tell me."

I did not face him, but rather the view I had of the rolling hills that stretched out beyond the gardens. Lush trees could be seen further up the hills that led to the dense Eastern Forest. A cool breeze was dancing around us, like a child wanting to play. I had no time for games, not now. At my side Buckingham told me the news that so greatly needed my attention.

It had to be serious for Buckingham to pull me aside in private, but what left him lips was something I would never have expected to hear. There was no preparation I could have undergone to handle this information.

"A day ago, when the soldiers assumed their morning posts on the Alendarian-Conpean border at dawn, they noticed something strange. First, there were no Conpean soldiers on duty. The station was gone as well. But it was they saw beyond the border that made me question the truth of this report . . . they say that the ground on the Conpean side was stark black. I know you forbid your soldiers from going onto foreign land without permission, but you will be glad that they did not obey. The two of them advanced from the border and up the hill to see the valley. Their eyes did not meet the humble cottages nor gaze up upon the sight of a herd of cows. Usually from that hill, on a clear day such as that one a person could easily see beyond the royal palace in the following valley. My queen," Buckingham said slowly, as if trying to find the right words to say. "Conpo is gone."

"What?" The sound of my voice was not strong. I did not know how to handle news like this. Probably because I never knew would hear such news.

"There is nothing left. The soldiers report that the entire kingdom has been wiped out. Not one building, whether farm or . . .," Buckingham continued to inform me of the devastation. That nation was small but was well armed; and it was wiped out so suddenly. "The land is completely barren. The two soldiers returned to their posts and informed their superiors with this knowledge. Eleanor, you do know that the royal family of Conpo no longer remains –"

"- Do not say that. We do not know if some remain or had a chance to escape this travesty. That was all they saw," I slowly asked as I tried to process this strange and awful truth, "all they saw was stark black ground? Not even a tree remained?" I turned to Buckingham to see his head shake.

"Not even a tree. Eleanor, I advise that we deal with this carefully. The royal family were distant relatives on your father's side . . ." Buckingham drawled out. I finished the sentence.

"And I designated that their children are to be my heirs in the case I die unmarried and childless. Until I have a husband and children of my own, they shall succeed me for the time being. How many children did the king and queen have? Three?"

"Two, your majesty, twin boys. I believe they wer –"

The glare I shot at him was enough for him to change his words.

" - are sixteen. George is the oldest and Fitzwilliam is the youngest."

Yes, yes, I remember now. I met them once when they attended a ball at the palace. Luckily they were not identical, but they shared the same brilliant red hair, a trait they got from their father, King Philip V. The memory that flashed in my mind did not take away the growing pit in my stomach.

"I want to see it myself. The ruin."

Buckingham looked taken aback at what I said, as if I had offended him.

"Do you not trust me?"

"Of course I do!" I fired back, irritated that he, especially him, would ever ask me such a thing, "I trust you and Di above anyone else. And I trust my countrymen, the soldiers who saw this. But it is not just because I want to see what has happened, it is that I need to. This is odd, Buckingham. My God, it is so strange that I am still trying to fathom that such a thing could have occurred! I am not just interested about my family in Conpo but their people, too!"

Buckingham looked down at his shoes. We were both silent. The breeze that was whirling around us suddenly grew cold, sending goosebumps down my spine.

"Forgive me, I should not have shouted at you," I finally said.

"No, Eleanor. I am going through matters of my own and I let my emotions get the best of me," Buckingham said, raising his head as he offered me a gentle smile, "We can venture out whenever you want, Eleanor."

I shook my head.

"No, Buckingham, we shall go now, while the day is still young. If we leave in the next hour we will be there and back before sunset."

If the state of Conpo is as my soldiers reported, then it is likely I will not be returning any time around sunset.

The peace can never last forever. It is meant to fall apart sooner or later. In this case, sooner than later.